Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 upgrade to card without a fee?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 upgrade to card without a fee?

I have a Cap1 card with an annual fee. I've read about people having their cards upgraded.

How long do you have to wait? Does Cap1 fairly reliable do that?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap1 upgrade to card without a fee?

They upgraded mine (platinum) to QS/QS1 cards, but they did not change the fee structure. If you have the cards for at least 6 months give it a shot.

Message 2 of 6
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

I'm still stuck with $19 and $39 AFs on my 2 year old QS1 cards.

Requests to get it removed have been denied.  I honestly don't care either way... I'll gladly pay the $58 for the 2 TLs that are my oldest since Ch 13 discharge in 2013.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 3 of 6
seruby
Frequent Contributor

I have a cap 1 secured.  After having it for a year and a half, I got a QS with a fee.   Waited about 3 months after opening the QS card, and asked if they could remove the AF on at least one of the cards, since I had one opened for just under 2 years and was never late, and one opened for 3 months and was never late.

They upgraded my QS to the one without the AF.  I still have the secured open even though I don't need it, but the AF on it isn't really killing me, and it's more available credit.   

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can but use the EO. Advise them of your monthly spend and  their swipe fees earned based on the spend(just use 2.5%). Tell them you will move on to another company if they don't wish to credit the fee. If' you're not spending much, use the card for the value it is providing in that your credit has improved significantly since you acquired their card.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to change my platinum to a QS with no af after about four months through online chat.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.