Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CapOne Charge Off Question?

tag
lmfields
New Contributor

CapOne Charge Off Question?

My husband has a charge off with Capital One with a DoFD of 09/2007.  He put it on a debt consolidation plan and has only $107 left to pay on the balance.  Is it still going to "fall off" this year?  Does making payments toward it have any affect on reporting after 7 years?  I really want this gone, but have already been turned down on an early deletion.  Thanks!

Starting Score: Me:530 Him:519
Current Score: (CK) Me:535 Him:534
Goal Score: 650+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: CapOne Charge Off Question?

The exclusion of either a collection or a charge-off is based on one, and only one, date certain.

That date is the DOFD on the OC account, with exclusion being required no later than 7 yrs plus 180 days from that date.

Payments on the debt have no effect on their credit report exclusion date.

FCRA 605(c).

Message 2 of 3
lmfields
New Contributor

Re: CapOne Charge Off Question?

Thank you Robert!  I am learning so much.  Thankfully the majority of my husband's debts are from 2007 (young and stupid?) so they are all taking a long walk off a short pier very soon- we're working toward buying a house sometime in the near future, when our scores are in a better place Smiley Happy

Starting Score: Me:530 Him:519
Current Score: (CK) Me:535 Him:534
Goal Score: 650+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.