cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CapOne Charge Off...What should my next move be?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CapOne Charge Off...What should my next move be?

Hi Everyone!

In January of this year I had a card charge off with Cap One. The balance is $560 with fees and what not. They still own it as they've sent First Source and CBE Group after me. CBE offered to settle with me for $360. Should I settle with CBE or start mailing CapOne with PFDs since this is such a recent charge off? Any input is appreciated. I'd really like to get back into CapOne's good graces but also would like to get the best benefit with my dollars. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: CapOne Charge Off...What should my next move be?

Has the debt collector already reported a collection?

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Everyone!

In January of this year I had a card charge off with Cap One. The balance is $560 with fees and what not. They still own it as they've sent First Source and CBE Group after me. CBE offered to settle with me for $360. Should I settle with CBE or start mailing CapOne with PFDs since this is such a recent charge off? Any input is appreciated. I'd really like to get back into CapOne's good graces but also would like to get the best benefit with my dollars. 

I would check my CR to see how the account is being reported.

If the account is listed as sold then you will have to deal with the CA as Cap1 would not be allowed to collect on the alleged debt

If it has not been sold then you may have a PFD chance with Cap1

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is still just on my report under Capital One. On none of the reports does it say anything about CBE Group or First Source so that would mean that since CapOne is the only one reporting, they own it still right?

Message 4 of 7
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Everyone!

I have been reading this site daily for two years and I have never seen Capital One agree to a pay for delete.  (In fact I haven't seen even one example of a major national lender agreeing to a pay for a delete).  I have only very rarely seen Capital 1 delete a very old account that is reporting derogatory information - like 5 year old baddies.

Your debt isn't very large.  Can you just pay it off?  That might look better to future lenders.  Cap 1, of course, won't hold the writeoff against you.  In fact, you could probably get another card with them right now with that outstanding!  Or maybe six months from now.

Collection agents are hit or miss about PFD's.  It seems that most of the major ones will reject the quid pro quo of a pay for delete, but will honor a goodwill letter if you send it right after you pay the debt.

Message 5 of 7
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Everyone!

My advice?   Take the offer.

Cap One will not accept PFDs.   They still own the debt, but they have CAs that administer the COs.   You'll have to work with the CA to settle.   They will update as "settled in full" and update the balance to $0 and stop monthly reporting.   This will definitely help.   As for removal of the CO, Cap One only grants GW removal on a very rare basis.   You can try, but don't get frustrated at the results.

Cap One is also very forgiving.   You may have to recon future apps with them, but you will get back in.   I had two COs with them, one unsettled and one settled.   I was able to get back in with the settled one still reporting, but I had to recon.   

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Everyone!

My advice?   Take the offer.

Cap One will not accept PFDs.   They still own the debt, but they have CAs that administer the COs.   You'll have to work with the CA to settle.   They will update as "settled in full" and update the balance to $0 and stop monthly reporting.   This will definitely help.   As for removal of the CO, Cap One only grants GW removal on a very rare basis.   You can try, but don't get frustrated at the results.

Cap One is also very forgiving.   You may have to recon future apps with them, but you will get back in.   I had two COs with them, one unsettled and one settled.   I was able to get back in with the settled one still reporting, but I had to recon.   

^^^^ +1

Absolutely agree 100% - Take the offer and run like hell, before they DO place a collection on your reports.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.