Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CapOne Secured Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CapOne Secured Card

I have  bad credit I am trying to rebuild. My scored hovers around 550-575. Will $200 on a secured card help build my credit any? Is there a better minimum I should get do show improvement on my score? Don't know if it's worth it to put more on a card, that will never go unsecured.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CapOne Secured Card

My wife and her sister had scores in the mid to high 500s and were both approved for unsecured CapOne cards recently. If you have no credit cards, then opening a few (3 seems to be the magic number) will help your credit file.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will try those. WF and BoA denied for their secured cards. So a $200 cl will do some good?

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It would help your score immensely- if you do not already have any Credit cards. I got the secured card back in Dec 2014 and it improved my score. I also got the CapOne QS One six months later (June 2015). I hear they both go hand in hand. CapOne has a prequal site that will tell you what you best qualify for. But yeah, a CC tradeline will help you. Good Luck!

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just signed up for the secured card too.... & thats odd my scores are a bit lower than yours & I got approved for $99 down.

If you dont want to put up the $200 right now, i'd suggest fingerhut or sct just to get some revolving showing on your report if you dont have any just yet.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe $200 would be the credit limit, not the deposit. But I could be wrong.

Message 6 of 10
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Most secured cards the deposit is the credit limit.  Swing over to CapOne's prequal site and see if you get offered a Platinum or Quicksilver One.  If not then come up with $300 to get the CapOne secured, it may never unsecure but it will open the doors quickly to CapOne unsecured cards.  Use the secured card and allow it to post a very small balance, less than 10% is good.  That should start raising your scores and allowing you better card opportunities.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you go Cap One secured (if they don't offer you a Plat or QS1 and you don't want to wait the 5 months for a Builder Program card to start reporting), then the $200 is probably fine if you really don't want to tie up much money.  If you treat it right, after 5-6 statements they give an unsecured CLI of $300 putting the card at $500 and at that point you may be able to get a QS1 as well, or at least not too terribly long after you get your secured card Credit Steps increase.  I got mine 3 months after my secured card's credit steps hit but then again I didn't try right after so I may have been eligible to get it before that (and mine was a cold app - I didn't have anything come up on the prequal page).

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had my Cap1 Secured card since July and never recieved a CLI even though i have maintained 15% uti and never missed a payment, so its not a gurantee that you will get a CLI on the secured card. HOWEVER, I reapplied for the QS1 and the Platinum and was approved on both this time for a $500 CL so I do feel like the Secured definatly served its purpose even though it never got a CLI. 

Message 9 of 10
lindsaydruart
Established Contributor

The Cap One Secured card does not graduate but it opens the doors for the higher ranking cards.

Gardening since 12/15/2019. Goal 12/15/2021
FICO 8 as of 12/16/2019 - EQ 602 EX 656 TU 628
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.