Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Cash Rewards Approval

tag
ckreyn00
Valued Member

Capital One Cash Rewards Approval

Preparing to move cross-country for graduate school, I took one more shot at apping tonight and applied for the Capital One Cash Rewards card (the "Average Credit" version with the $39 annual fee). I had scored my first prime card last month (Chase Freedom, $500 CL) and was hoping for one more cash rewards card with a decent APR so I could finally retire First Premier and Credit One both to a shoebox in the back of my closet.

I had charged off a Capital One card a few months after college-- paid off, it has about a year left before it will fall off my report. All attempts at early deletion have been shot down time and again. Despite that, a little research suggested I had a decent shot at a do-over with Capital One.

I was approved with a $1000 CL and 17.9% APR. While this is a relatively small limit, it's my first four digit limit that isn't CareCredit, and my second-lowest APR. So happy right now.

Thank you all for pooling your collective experiences and wisdom here. Two years ago, when I stumbled across this site desperate for guidance, graduate school was NOT a realistic option for me. Now, my reports are clean enough to apply for GradPLUS loans and I have relatively respectable credit cards in my wallet to bridge the occasional financial gap. I am so grateful, guys. So very grateful.

Now to shoebox a couple cards and garden for a year. Smiley Happy

Starting score: 531 (March 2010)
Current score: 747 (February 2014)

It took four years, but I did it.
Next up? 800 club.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Re: Capital One Cash Rewards Approval

Grats!

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 2 of 7
sleepingiant
Established Member

wow with what kinda score?  i just have a cap secured card n would love to move up to a regular card but just scared to apply. im in the mid 500s

Starting Score: 541
Current Score: 580
Goal Score: 620

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 7
ckreyn00
Valued Member

My TransUnion and Equifax scores are in the mid 630s. I also haven't had any lates in two and a half years, and have a credit card utilization of 20%.

Starting score: 531 (March 2010)
Current score: 747 (February 2014)

It took four years, but I did it.
Next up? 800 club.
Message 4 of 7
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Congrats!

I'm planning on trying for this card in a few months. I too had a CapOne I didn't play nicely with when I was 18 and dumb. Paid the C/O thanks to a judgment...haha.

I got the secured card now and hoping the good history will work in my favor when applying.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 5 of 7
bbrannan
Regular Contributor

Awesome!! Congrats on your new card!

What score were you approved with? Just got my Cap1 Cash Rewards card in the mail this past weekend and am excited to know "its whats in my wallet"!

Good luck on your move!

Cards: AMEX Zync NPSL, AMEX BCE, NFCU LOC $15K, NFCU Visa Signature cashRewards $14K, NFCU Flagship Visa Signature $14K, USAA Platinum M/C $3.5K, USAA AMEX $2K, Capital One Cash Rewards $3.5K, WalMart $10K, Lowes $10K, Home Depot $8250, Amazon $4K, Discover IT $1K

Starting Score: EX: 570 EQ: 520 TU 602
Current Score: AMEX EX:717 MyFico EQ 688 Walmart TU 749 MyFico TU 740
Goal Score: 750+ across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 7
bbrannan
Regular Contributor

Sorry about the previous post. I missed where you had already posted your approval score! Congrats again!

Cards: AMEX Zync NPSL, AMEX BCE, NFCU LOC $15K, NFCU Visa Signature cashRewards $14K, NFCU Flagship Visa Signature $14K, USAA Platinum M/C $3.5K, USAA AMEX $2K, Capital One Cash Rewards $3.5K, WalMart $10K, Lowes $10K, Home Depot $8250, Amazon $4K, Discover IT $1K

Starting Score: EX: 570 EQ: 520 TU 602
Current Score: AMEX EX:717 MyFico EQ 688 Walmart TU 749 MyFico TU 740
Goal Score: 750+ across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.