Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Charge off and the mysterious CA account for same debt

tag
amieric
Established Member

Capital One Charge off and the mysterious CA account for same debt

Hello, 

Hope somebody can help me. I have a capital one charge off from 2008; most recently within the last few years i have been trying to fight this collection agency that has bought the debt from capital one. Here is the thing, I have the Cap1 charge off and the CA charging me off simultaniously.. Neither Capital One or the CA will remove one or the other - what can I do? Which has the most impact on my credit report - the Cap1 or the CA reporting the same debt? I want to get one of them off, if not both - its unfair that i have same debt charged off, I even try and dispute it and nothing happens. I am at a loss - i cant rebuild if i keep getting torn down, you know? Thoughts, comments and ideas are GREATLY welcomed. I would appreciate it.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Capital One Charge off and the mysterious CA account for same debt

Both are allowed to report at the same time. Are both reporting an active balance, or is one at $0?

Message 2 of 9
amieric
Established Member

Capital 1 is showing $0 and the other one is reporting the full balance of the charge off
Message 3 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Then they are in fact reporting correctly.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 9
amieric
Established Member

well i am not disputing the charge off so much as the duplicate. How can Cap1 charge me off and then get another collection account for the same debt? i feel like that is double dipping. maybe i am just not understanding the logic. i consider myself pretty smart, but this credit reporting and scoring sometimes is over my head. Smiley Sad 

Message 5 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Cap1 was the OC, they have COd the account as a loss and now the CA has it for collection.  Even  if you pay the CA, the OC and the CA can still report.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 9
amieric
Established Member

Fair enough - I can afford the charge off amount (now lol) if I were to attempt a pay for deletion letter whom (OC or CA) should I attack first to do this? My goal is for both to delete. That would raise my score exponentially.
Message 7 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

The only thing you can do for CapOne, aside from waiting, is to send them a GW letter. It's a long shot but there's nothing much to lose.

For the CA, I'd send a DV letter to the CA. If they verify and I agreed, then I'd send a PFD. If they agree in writing, then pay it and they'll delete.

Message 8 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It's not duplicate reporting of the debt.  The OC is reporting no debt due to them, as reflected in the $0 balance.

You have reporting of escalating/different actions that have occured along the path of attempting to collect the deliquent debt.

It is proper to have multiple adverse reportings on the same debt.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.