Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Collection Account returned

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Collection Account returned

I had a Capital One collection account drop off in August 2014. I just received an alert on my phone saying I have a new collection account...when I checked my credit report it says the Capital One collection account is being reported again. Are they able to do this? When it changed it August it had dropped off early. Has anyone experienced this?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
IamB2
Established Contributor

Re: Capital One Collection Account returned

@Anonymous wrote:

I had a Capital One collection account drop off in August 2014. I just received an alert on my phone saying I have a new collection account...when I checked my credit report it says the Capital One collection account is being reported again. Are they able to do this? When it changed it August it had dropped off early. Has anyone experienced this?

The only time an account will fully be excluded from your report is if it has been 7 years + 180 days from the date of first delinquency. This doesn't mean that the debt goes away, just that it will not appear on your credit report - with the exceptoins as provided in the FCRA 605(b).

With that in mind, if the account was excluded early, to my knowledge, there is no reason why it can't come back. If the law provides for them to report, there is not much one can do to stop it from reporting. If it has been more than 7 years + 180 days from the date of first delinquency (DOFD), however, then you can dispute it with the CRA and it should be excluded from your report.

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

As long as it is still less than 7 years plus 180 days from DOFD, it can be included in your credit report.

The only restriction under the FCRA against reinsertion is if you filed a prior dispute, and the collection was deleted as a result of their lack of verification of the disputed information.  In such a case, they would be required to have first provided the CRA with a certification of accuracy before the CRA could reinsert, and the CRA would have to have sent you notice of their reinsertion.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help guys!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.