Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One GW and recon 1 for 2

tag
upinflagstaff
Frequent Contributor

Capital One GW and recon 1 for 2

I recently sent a reconsideration letter and a GW letter to Cap1. My GW letter:
I have been a Capital One customer since October 2000 and during that time, I have enjoyed my experience with Capital One greatly. I am writing to see if you would be willing to make a "goodwill" adjustment to your reporting to the three credit agencies. I have a 60 day late payment on the above referenced account that dates back to 10/2001. Since that time I have been an exceptional customer paying every month on time.

Because of my exceptional payment history over the last seven years, I would like you to consider removing the negative payments from my credit report. At the time of the late payments, my business was faltering and eventually failed and I lost my home in a foreclosure due to a poor choice of tenants whom I was renting to. I say that not to justify why the payments were late, but rather to show that the late payments are not a good indicator of my actual credit worthiness. Despite my business difficulties I managed to bring Capital One current and even have a second credit account as well as an online banking account with you. After many years of hard work, this is one of the few remaining blemishes on my credit reports. The age of the delinquency is nearing expiration and would naturally fall off in a few months, however my wife and I have started to seriously consider home ownership again. I hope that Capital One is willing to work with me on erasing this mark from my credit reports.

I have been a very happy customer in the past and hope to continue a long relationship with Capital One. With today’s credit industry so competitive, I know how important it is to maintain good relationships with customers. Capital One has been exceptional in my book so far and I highly recommend it to all my friends and relatives. I hope that you will deeply consider my request and prove once again, why Capital One is heads above the rest. I look forward to your reply.

This was a modified GW letter found here.
I haven't actually heard from Cap1, but the lates are gone from all three reports. The recon letter fell on deaf ears though I think. I haven't heard back on this either, but my CLs have stayed the same as they were.

I recently requested a credit line increase on each of my accounts that are held by Capital One which were denied. The reasons stated in my subsequent decline letter are:
Proportion of Capital One account balance(s) to credit limit or high credit is too high
Proportion of account balance(s) to credit limit or high credit is too high
There has been insufficient pay down of Capital One revolving accounts
There are too many delinquent past or present credit obligations
I would like to address each of these items.
First, since Capital One has been so generous in the past about offering balance transfers and low interest rates, my wife and I have chosen to transfer balances from her extremely high interest rate accounts to Capital One and other accounts. This saves us money each month, which we believe is a financially sound decision, and at one of the lowest rates that we have between us is the last to pay down.
Second, we recently obtained new credit in order to purchase a bed without realizing that it was a revolving account. Although the purpose of the account was for a single purchase it is now counting against me as a revolving account.
Also, as to the second and third items, it is again the generousness of Capital One that my balances with your company remain at their current levels.
As to the final reason stated above, Experian is reporting an account that is under dispute. Despite the fact that I have disputed the validity of the account Experian has refused to place a statement on my report indicating that I am disputing the account from Real-Time Resolutions. There is also a medical collection that appears on my reports that is under investigation.
I would like to request a reconsideration of this denial based upon my long history with Capital One. The primary reasons stated in my decline letter are due to my excellent treatment by Capital One which I hope to continue for many years to come.

As for the medical, a pre HIPAA worked so well with TU (it's gone), I'm sending it to the other two. I'm hoping that before long the only things affecting my scores will be high util% which is being worked on. Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Capital One GW and recon 1 for 2

Wow! Congrats!
Message 2 of 11
upinflagstaff
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, I had to lay it on a little thick especially about recommending them. I have managed to do the following things over time with Cap1:
Reduce my interest rates. One is 7.99% fixed. The other is based on LIBOR but sits at 11.99% currently.
Remove my annual fees completely
They did send me a referral code for both their online savings account and CC which I posted on my blog - I even made a couple of bucks off the referrals (the offers were only good through December I think)

I know not everyone has the same experiences but mine have been mostly positive from Cap1. Any negative experience I have ever had with them has been due to my own actions.
Message 3 of 11
upinflagstaff
Frequent Contributor

Capital One Response to GW

I just received this in the mail:

Dear (cardholder)
Thanks for contacting us about your credit bureau report. We've verified that incorrect late-payment information was reported to the credit reporting agencies for the months of September and October 2001. We've updated your account n our records to show it as current, and we've sent the corrected information the following credit reporting agencies:

(Experian, Equifax, TransUnion info here)

The credit reporting agencies may take up to 60 days to update the information on your credit report. You can contact the agencies directly if you have questions.

It was signed C Kyzer.
While this does not exactly say - thanks for doing business, yes we'll remove the lates that's exactly what has happened.
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Response to GW

No sweat to them.......the lates would have died of natural causes next month and the month after.

They can only remain for 7 years.

Good luck on your recon!
Message 5 of 11
upinflagstaff
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital One Response to GW

Considering the rap that Cap1 has here it seems like a decent victory. Yes, the lates would have fallen off and I think that's partly why they did it. I have kept the TL active for the last seven years and that could have had something to do with it as well. Maybe I just got lucky. They don't specifically state that it is for goodwill, they state that it was "incorrect" instead which is interesting. Also, this was my first and only GW to Cap1. The lates disappeared immediately. So far there is no reply on the recon - has anyone successfully reconned Cap1?

Message Edited by upinflagstaff on 08-26-2008 06:35 PM
Message 6 of 11
upinflagstaff
Frequent Contributor

Capital One Response to Recon letter

Dear (cardholder)

Thanks for contacting us a bout a credit limit increase on your Capital One account. Unfortunately, it's our policy not to accept written requests for credit limit increases. However, we can consider your request over the phone. Please call our Customer Service Department at 1-800-955-7070 so we can review your account. Our Customer Service Representatives are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

We're sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.
(etc. ...)

So I guess the recon failed. I guess I get to try a recon phone call tomorrow.
Message 7 of 11
upinflagstaff
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital One Response to Recon letter

So I just got off the phone with Capital One. I told the CSR that he was probably not going to be able to help me and that I would probably need to talk to a supervisor.

I explained the CLI, the decline, the recon, the recon decline and then he put me on hold to talk to a supervisor. He came back with an ominous, "yes we can put in the request, but it will affect your credit scores." He intimated that they would be pulling my CRs to check my scores. With only one or two inquiries in the last 60 days or so I told him I wasn't worried about the pull. I then told them that they had just (soft) pulled my report to decline me. A small amount of back and forth and I finally requested to talk to a supervisor. His answer was along the lines of, "OK, but they will tell you the same thing."

The supervisor did not tell me the same thing... I started out with, "in July I asked for a CLI and was denied for (four stated reasons)" I told her that my lines were being used the way they were (high UTL) due to BTs from DW's high interest cards and that I wasn't paying these as fast because I need to pay down the higher interest cards of DW before the lower interest cards of mine. I also told her to look at my history with them, that I have been a long time customer, I pay my bills on time and I pay more than the minimum even though it's been a little while since I did a PIF with them. I also mentioned that keeping these accounts where they are is hurting my scores a little because they are such a high UTL.

She told me there was an "offer on the account" for a $300.00 CLI, did I want to take it? I asked if she had to pull my report to get that and she said no, it was there from periodic review. I took the $300 and asked about my other TL with them. Also $300 CLI. So I was able to get one card down to 55% UTL and the other to 73% UTL with my overall UTL down to around 47%.

I was polite, stated the facts chronologically and thanked her at the end of our call. These cards are staying in the drawer for now with their balances, but at least they will be helping a little more than they were yesterday. Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 11
upinflagstaff
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital One Response to Recon letter

Today I got a decline letter and two CLI letters from Cap1. The decline letter was the same generic decline for the same reasons. The CLIs came from talking to the "retention" department. So I got a decline and a CLI on the same account, the letters are dated the same day even. Now that's crazy!

Message Edited by upinflagstaff on 09-08-2008 06:10 PM
Message 9 of 11
movinonup79
Regular Contributor

How long did it take for them to remove the lates???  I'm sending out a GW to Cap 1 now.  I just paid off my account, so hoping for a good outcome.
04/01/10 - TU: 659 / EX: 648 / EQ: 601 (LO Scores)
2/25/10 - EQ 588 / EX 660 (LO) / TU 633
2/9/10 - EQ 567 / EX 585 / TU 601
1/12/09 - EQ 544 / EX 570 / TU 593
12/12/09 - EQ 536 / EX 555 / TU 582
11/13/09 - EQ 536 / EX 586 / TU 566
11/03/09 - EQ 540 / EX 544 / TU 574
07/18/06 - EQ 478
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.