Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Good Will Rejected from the Top

tag
lavencedora
Frequent Contributor

Capital One Good Will Rejected from the Top

I had my goodwill letters rejected by Capital One. I requested they stop reporting a 30 day late from over a year ago on two different cards. On one card, I was reported late for 8 more months because I paid the minimum amount due, but hadn't paid the earlier late fee. This, of course, is more damaging than the circumstances warrant. The first time I wrote to customer service and received a rejection.

Everyone on the forums say send and send again. The second time, I went straight to the top. I wrote to the CEO and got a call from the executive offices saying they understood the circumstances, but there is NOTHING they can do for me. As I say, I see a lot of advice here to keep sending GWs, but what if you get rejected straight from the CEO-level? That sounds to me like a final no. Is it?

Starting Score: TU 490 on 11/2012
Current Score:6/16/15:EQ 714, EX 704, TU 702 (all from myFICO)
New Goal Score: 740+ for all three
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
DAVE49ERS
Valued Member

Re: Capital One Good Will Rejected from the Top

that makes me worry...I just sent the CEO a GW letter a couple of days ago. Even if it is rejected I don't plan on giving up!! I would keep sending them if I where you.

Ex: 12/14/13 634 EQ: 1/26/14 639 TU: 3/1/2014 682 walmart TU 650 all FICO scores
Message 2 of 16
Lechte
Frequent Contributor

@DAVE49ERS wrote:

that makes me worry...I just sent the CEO a GW letter a couple of days ago. Even if it is rejected I don't plan on giving up!! I would keep sending them if I where you.

+1

(EX08 - 654) --- (TU08 - 643) --- (EQ08 - 667) --- (EQ04 - 676)

Message 3 of 16
baller4life
Super Contributor

Cap 1 is notorious for not goodwilling. Some get lucky. Good luck!
Message 4 of 16
lavencedora
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, it's a shame. I really thought if I got to them at the executive level, that was my best shot. They said they *can't* do anything. I know they can ... if they care to. Hmmm ... I'll have to figure out what the next move should be. I don't think I'm ready to give up on them yet, either. Good luck, Dave. Just because mine didn't succeed doesn't mean yours won't. Let me know when you hear back!

Message 5 of 16
mccrcamd
Valued Member

I'm sorry to hear that. I just dealt with capital one and a 30 day late from 2 yrs ago and I initially called the number on the back of my CC and spoke with Customer Resolutions Department (as they say their the last ones to dispute before it goes backdoor) and they denied me, I then tried to dispute the charge online via the chat and once again denied. I finally broke down and emailed the CEO explaining how disappointed I was in CAP1 CSR's and it was 1 30 day late it was the only time being late etc. Low and behold I received a phone call at 9:30pm (Tx time) and it was an
executive who surer me he was going to get the charge token care of so I waited a few days and didn't wait for him to call me back as I called him he said they are still looking over it but said everything looks good. The very next day (Christmas Eve) he called and said that he took care of it and look for it to be updated 60-90 days, well I checked my credit report and it's already been updated and I averaged 35 point gain from all three bureaus as I and closing on my first house in Feb. and needed that push to get my middle score over 640 now all three are with TU and Equifax 673 and Ex 667 so thanks to Cap 1 for helping me just sucks for the other myfico family

Current myFICO scoresSmiley SadEQ) 663 | (TU) 695 | (EX) 684
Goal scores: 750+ (all 3) Updated: 4-8-2015
Cards: Ritz-Carlton Rewards $8500, BBVA Compas NBA Amex $8000, Security Service Federal CU $7500, Chase Sapphire $7000, Overstock $5900, BBVA Clear Points $5000, Disvocer It $3700, Chase Freedom $3500, Barclay Rewards $2500, Capital One Platinum $1750, Capital One QS $1000, American Express Everday $1000, Sams Visa $737, Walmart $500, Home Depot $500, Cabelas (still haven't received in the mail)
Message 6 of 16
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

For now its a dead horse. You should continue to keep using your 2 cards and stay current on all payments due then try again in 6 months, the more responsibility you show the better odds you have.

Message 7 of 16
notfancy
Valued Contributor

I'd say give it a week or so and then try to email them again. Maybe you'll get another EO who is more willing to try and take care of it for you.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 8 of 16
lavencedora
Frequent Contributor

mccrcamd's story is at least encouraging. I did the same -- emailed CEO & got an executive phone call first thing the following day. They do at least respond. I think I had a good case for it, it is pretty far in the past, there were extenuating circumstances, and I am good for over a year on THREE accounts with them now, including an auto loan. But, yeah, I'll have to decide when to reach out again and to whom. It sounds like it can be done, though -- given the right person in the right mood. The lady who called was very nice and gave me her direct line in case I need anything else. So, I think I'll start by calling her again and asking if she could tell me in more detail why they feel nothing can be done. If I can't persuade in that call, I'll wait two months or so & make another attempt. 

Message 9 of 16
myjourney
Super Contributor

@lavencedora wrote:

I had my goodwill letters rejected by Capital One. I requested they stop reporting a 30 day late from over a year ago on two different cards. On one card, I was reported late for 8 more months because I paid the minimum amount due, but hadn't paid the earlier late fee. This, of course, is more damaging than the circumstances warrant. The first time I wrote to customer service and received a rejection.

Everyone on the forums say send and send again. The second time, I went straight to the top. I wrote to the CEO and got a call from the executive offices saying they understood the circumstances, but there is NOTHING they can do for me. As I say, I see a lot of advice here to keep sending GWs, but what if you get rejected straight from the CEO-level? That sounds to me like a final no. Is it?

Send Send then send again 

It only takes one ear to be successful but whatever you do don't give up 

Why are you reading this last line when you should be sending again  Smiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.