Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Goodwill Letter Success!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Goodwill Letter Success!

After reading through this forum over the past several months I decided to try my hand at a goodwill letter (I modified one I found online). This was in regards to an old Capital One credit card account. I sent the letter a few weeks ago and got a reply in the mail yesterday.... and they deleted the account from all 3 credit bureaus! Below is a copy of the letter I sent them if anyone else wants to use it!

To Whom It May Concern:

I have been a loyal card member of Capital One for 7 years and couldn’t be happier with my decision to join the Capital One Family. You’ve always offered some of the most competitive rates and rewards programs and have always provided excellent customer service.

Unfortunately, in January of 2005, I took advantage of our relationship and failed to submit my monthly payment on time.  It was an exceptionally busy and chaotic time in my life as I was balancing graduating college, moving, and finding a full time job. I fully respect my obligations to Capital One and have repaid every penny I owe and am now working diligently to amend my relationship with you and regain your trust. I have since opened a personal credit card account in June of 2010 and a business credit card account in May of 2011 and haven’t been late ever on either account.

Recently, I have begun the search for a home it has come to my attention that the charge off with Capital One (from June of 2005) may negatively affect my chances of obtaining competitive financing. As you may know, FICO scores and credit history are being used more and more in the mortgage lending industry.

I know this will fall off my credit report automatically in January of 2012, which is only a few months away, but in light of my renewed focus and demonstrated commitment to rebuilding trust with your company, I am requesting that you give me a second chance at a positive credit rating by deleting the charge off as reported on my three major credit bureau files (Experian, TransUnion, & Equifax). I sincerely hope Capital One believes in their customers and I humbly request your consideration to allow me to pursue the house of my dreams. I appreciate your time and hope for a gesture of goodwill and to continue doing business with Capital One.

Regards

Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46
tennisfan78
Established Contributor

Re: Capital One Goodwill Letter Success!

Hi, Congratulations!!  And thank you for sharing the info.

Starting Score: EQ=665,TU=618 on Oct 9,2010
EQ=702,TU=725 on Apr 11, 2012 EQ=705 on Oct 31, 2012 Current Score: EQ=702, TU=714 on Dec 8, 2012
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 47
CS800
Super Contributor

It's rare for Cap One to be goodwill friendly but I was successful in getting them to remove a 30 date late that was in 2010.

Happy for you Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 47
MsTucker09
Regular Contributor

i was actually able to get cap 1 to delete 2 60 day lates from 2007 in 2008!!!! They are really understanding

@CS800 wrote:

It's rare for Cap One to be goodwill friendly but I was successful in getting them to remove a 30 date late that was in 2010.

Happy for you Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ 462 9/30/11
Current Score: TU 577 4/10/12 EQ 607 4/10/12 PLUS 627 4/10/12 Beacon 5.0 621 lender pull 4/13/12
Goal Score: 650

Message 4 of 47
Guava
Established Contributor

Congrats! Thanks for sharing your letter with us!

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Message 5 of 47
gymbo731
Regular Contributor

Did you mail this to the address listed on your credit report, or some other address?

Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Message 6 of 47
CS800
Super Contributor

Now if I can get DCU to remove some 30 (about 4) days late, I will be golden but so far no luck.

Message 7 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sent it to the following address......

Capital One, ATTN: Customer Relations
PO Box 30281
Salt Lake City, UT 84130

Message 8 of 47
Mrvlhro

This is an awesome post! Do you think this will work if the card companies I write this letter to, I'm not currently banking with them at the moment? I had a bad account with first premier bank and capital one and I would like to see if they will remove my old account I had with them but I don't have cards with them any longer..
Message 9 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would definitely try it out. And if they say no, try again and again.

Message 10 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.