cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Lates Chat...thoroughly confused.

tag
mrbuilder
Established Member

Capital One Lates Chat...thoroughly confused.

I had some late payments from 2012 and 2013 that I would like to be removed from my old Cap 1 card.  I spoke to a CSR from the live chat and he said there was nothing he could do...I insisted that I speak with someone else because I knew that there were many instances in which lates were removed as an act of good will.  I was transferred to a chat with a manager and he agreed to send a dispute to the CSRs on my behalf labeled "Customer Goodwill."  I asked if this would effectively delete the payments and he said he couldn't guarantee that.  I told him that I didn't want a dispute sent out because I didn't dispute the validity of the payments, but he insisted that this was how they usually handled the matter.  I also sent a letter to the EO concerning this issue.  What is the possible outcome for this?  Will it just hang on with a dispute message under the account?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Lates Chat...thoroughly confused.

Cap 1 is a tough one to have anything removed but it does happen on occasion. The outcome is they say yes and update no lates or no they won't. If they say no then you can keep asking. they are tough but it only takes one person to say yes.  Good luck.

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You are rightfully confused.

Any party who reports information to a CRA has a continuing obligation uder FCRA 623(a)(2) to promptly update any reported information as required to maintain its current accuracy.  If they find anything inaccurate about their own reporting, no CRA dispute is required to decide upon its accuracy and compel its correction or deletion.

It is silly for a furnisher to file a "dispute" of their own reporting with a CRA, which requires identification of an asserted inaccuracy, and then requires the CRA to communicate back to tthem for verification of its accuracy.  If they know its inaccurate, they are required to correct without recourse to the FCRA dispute process.

They are blowing you off, and at best confusing the CRA as to how to handle such a dispute based on customer goodwill as opposed to identifcation of an actual inaccuracy.

It will, if the CRA does treat it as an actual dispute, result in a pending dispute flag being placed in the consumer's credit file, which blocks certain information from scoring until it is removed.  This temporarily makes the consumer's credit score unusable.

Message 3 of 4
Cheshiregrl
Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

You are rightfully confused.

Any party who reports information to a CRA has a continuing obligation uder FCRA 623(a)(2) to promptly update any reported information as required to maintain its current accuracy.  If they find anything inaccurate about their own reporting, no CRA dispute is required to decide upon its accuracy and compel its correction or deletion.

It is silly for a furnisher to file a "dispute" of their own reporting with a CRA, which requires identification of an asserted inaccuracy, and then requires the CRA to communicate back to tthem for verification of its accuracy.  If they know its inaccurate, they are required to correct without recourse to the FCRA dispute process.

They are blowing you off, and at best confusing the CRA as to how to handle such a dispute based on customer goodwill as opposed to identifcation of an actual inaccuracy.

It will, if the CRA does treat it as an actual dispute, result in a pending dispute flag being placed in the consumer's credit file, which blocks certain information from scoring until it is removed.  This temporarily makes the consumer's credit score unusable.

Wow way to crush their excitement and hopes for the future. I'm Surprised you didn't tell them that Santa isn't real! So I just got off of the chat where the conversation went pretty much the same. I have difficult time believing that they can lead me on in a medium where I have saved screenshots and because I have read of the success, I will choose to live in my bubble gum butterfly dream world and will send an update with what happens...good or bad. 

Starting Score:MyFico EQ 651 6/14
MyFico TU 676 7/14
MyFico EX 670 8/14
Current 3-bureau score watch 3/15:EQ 736 EX 687 TU 783
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.