Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Making Promises

tag
Woodyou812
Valued Member

Capital One Making Promises

Hey gang, so this is an odd one.

Last week I was working on my credit report and Capital One was showing my account as delinquent when it was not.

I spoke with someone via chat who said 'that's not right, let me get  that fixed!' While I was at it, I asked him if he could also reverse a late fee from March. I asked for paper statements (we changed the way we pay bills) and the paper statements did not arrive. Soon as they called, we paid the bill, but the damage was done. He apologized for not sending the statement and supposedly got that reversed as well. Said it should take 2 business days to clear up.

I call on Friday as it was 3 business days at that point, and they said the account would be updated Sunday. So I check in and although the account now shows current, they are claiming 2 lates, both of which should have been reversed.

I call this morning, spoke to a supervisor, and the poicy of capital one is to report correct information. When I ask 'well what about what I was told last week?' the supervisor says 'I wouldn't have told you that.' A little back and forth and I stay polite, saying 'listen, this isn't a reflection on you, but capital one did make an assertion that they may not keep now? So I suppose the best course of action is to see how things turn out and be prepared to contact the executive office over the last agent's handling of the account.' She recommended I absolutely send a letter today to their office in richmond with her employee ID. She said she saw in the notes where the other agent made the promise, and she would update as well.

She also said it would take 60-90 days to get cleared up. I did initiate a dispute last week based on me not getting statements to pay, this was before I spoke with cap1. 

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Capital One Making Promises

If you have billing related issues on a credit card, it is usually best to use the Fair Credit Billing Act dispute process rather than the FCRA dispute process, which only applies to the accuracy of information that has been reported to a CRA.

You can, within 60 days of any billing related issue, file a dispute under the FCBA.  Those disputes have documentation requirements not provided under the FCRA dispute process, and specific periods for resolution.  A summary can be found on the FTC web page.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.