Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Mistake = Removal?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Mistake = Removal?

I just pulled my full credit reports.

I made a mistake with my Capital One DOFD.

Here is something interesting:

My first 30-59 Days Late on that account was November, 2011.

Then it shows "no info" reported in December and January, and then The Capital One Card shows another 30-59 day report to the Credit Reporting Agencies on February 2012, with the charge off occuring in August 2012.

...but it shows that my last payment was April 1, 2012. I don't have my records from that period, so I have no clue, but this seems like a data discrepancy to me. I have never been the kind of guy to make a partial payment that wouldn't benefit the situation... Seems kind of pointless to me. So if they are reporting last payment as April, then I couldn't be 30-59 days late in February with the charge off in August?

Easier to read format:

November 2011 - 30-59 Days Late

December 201 - No Information

January 2012 - No Information

February 2012 - 30-59 Days Late

March 2012 - 60-89 Days Late

April 2012 - 90-119 Days Late

April 2012 - Last Payment

May 2012 - 90-119 Days Late

June 2012 - 120-149 Days Late

July 2012 - 120-149 Days Late

August 2012 - Charge Off

Does anyone here feel that there is a chance that I could get the account removed from my credit reports because those two data points don't add up? Or would they just correct the data? Or God forbid end up with it extending out because of the last payment?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Mistake = Removal?

Not to be negative cause always worth a shot, but that won’t result in a deletion. If error they will fix it. You could always call and ask what the payment made was.
Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A dispute must clearly identify the specific item of information that is asserted to be inaccurately reported.

Resolution of the dispute requires the furnisher to investigate and either verify, correct, or delete the reported information.

The CRA will then, if the information is not either veriified or corrected, do their own correction or deletion.

Deletion, if correction cannot be made, only applies to the information under dispute, and not to other information.

Discrepancies in dates of delinquencies or a reported DOFD do not mandate deletion of the account or of information not identified in the dispute. 

The missing issue with respect to reported DOFD is whether the account was brought back into good-standing after the first delinquency, and thus whether there were plural first delinquencies and delinquency chains.

DOFD is the first delinquency in the chain that included and led up to the charge-off, and not the first delinquency ever on the account.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

That’s very factual sounding. Thank you for the response. It all makes sense. I’ll leave it alone.

But based on that is it safe to assume the whole account will fall of 7 years from the first 30 day late reported in the chain that lead to the charge off? I read elsewhere that it is 7 years plus 180 Days?

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The exclusion period for a reported charge-off is no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD.

However, the CRAs routinely excluded at approx 7 years, so you can expect exclusion at approx 7 years from the reported DOFD.

Whether or not only the charge-off is excluded or whether the CRA will exclude the entire account depends upon whether the account is still in a delinquency status once the CRA is implementing exclusion.  If the account remains delinquent, they will exclude the entire account.

However if the account has been paid, and thus is no longer is a current delinquency status, they will exclude the charge-off and delinquencies preceding the charge-off, and not the entire account.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.