Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One/Portfolio Recovery

tag
mamabear
New Contributor

Capital One/Portfolio Recovery

I have only one collection on my report. It is Portfolio Recovery and the OC is Capital One. I now have a CC with Capital One that is being paid on time. I sent an email to the EO asking for a pay for delete. Do I still have to deal with PR or can Capital One have the collection deleted?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One/Portfolio Recovery

I believe that Cap One can recall the debt from PR, which would be great since they are terrible to deal with. Good luck! 

I tried to get one recalled through Cap one and they would not do it even though they sent the Dunning notice to the wrong address. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mamabear wrote:
I have only one collection on my report. It is Portfolio Recovery and the OC is Capital One. I now have a CC with Capital One that is being paid on time. I sent an email to the EO asking for a pay for delete. Do I still have to deal with PR or can Capital One have the collection deleted?

Is Cap One reporting the old account balance? or is it showing a $0 balance?

Message 3 of 10
mamabear
New Contributor

Capital One is not showing at all on my report. Only PRA.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like it was purchased by PRA, which means you would have to deal with them. Good luck with that!!!
Message 5 of 10
mamabear
New Contributor

Can Capital One recall it?
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would think it is worth a shot to contact Cap One and see if they can, however in my experience with OC accounts that weren't reporting and were sold to PRA, the OC couldn't do anything.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If Cap1 sold the account to PRA, Cap1 no longer owns it and WILL NOT call it back.

Message 8 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the debt collector owns the debt, then the creditor cannot "recall" something they do not own. 

If the debt collector only has assigned collection authority, they dont own the debt, and there is no to "recall" of the debt.  They are only assigned authority to attempt to collect on behalf of the current owner.  The correct terminolocy is thus not one of "recall of the debt," but rather termination of the assigned collection authority.

If you can convince the creditor to first terminate their assignment of collection authority, that gives rise to the CRA reporting policy that instructs debt collectors to delete their collection if their collection authority is terminated and the debt remains unpaid.

Deletion of a terminated, unpaid collection is not mandated by any provision of the FCRA, and is  based only on the CRA reporting policy, as stated in their reporting manual.

If the debt collector does not report deletion, you must then pursue with the CRA by showing termination of their assigned collection authority prior to any payment of the debt.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

good luck, PRA is a junk debt buyer, i also have new account with capital one and my car loan, sadly PRA will not delete my PIF collections account, had I known I would have been relentless with PFD but i didnt know any better at the time.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.