cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One QS M/C CLI Denial (12 months)

tag
ladybug2016
Regular Contributor

Capital One QS M/C CLI Denial (12 months)

Hi all,

I have the Platinum, upgraded to the QS MC at about 1-2 months, got the CLI after 60 days and the credit steps after 5 on-time payments, putting my card at $2,000. It's been 6 months since my last increase and this month I've had my card 1 year.

Tried for a CLI and got the 2-3 day message. Thought I must have tried a few days too early as my last increase was in July.

NOPE! Denied due to too many inquires on Equifax!

I  don't remember reading about Cap One denying for inquires.  Anyway, I do have 18 I think and 15 are from auto loan applications in August. 

Not sure how long I should wait to try again. I did notice on Equifax that a few of the places my dealership sent the application to did more than one inquiry so maybe I can get Equifax to remove the duplicates. It's worth a try.

Very surprised at Cap One.  Has anyone else had this experience? 

Thanks in advance for any replies.....

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One QS M/C CLI Denial (12 months)

Hi Ladybug, I don't have experience with Cap One but have you tried opening a card with a credit union? They are more generous especially Navy Federal has been known to give out large limits to those who are rebuilding. Anyone can join them now. 

Message 2 of 15
ladybug2016
Regular Contributor

Hi tydawg!

Thanks so much for your reply.

I actually did join Navy Federal and have their Cash Rewards and Checking Line of Credit.

Modest starting limit on the Rewards of $1,300 but I'm happy with that and I know (fingers crossed) it will grow. 

I've only had it since December so it's pretty new.

Thanks again for the great advice! 

Message 3 of 15
washpadude
Regular Contributor

I opened a Venture One in August. As per my usual experience with Cap One, I tried for a CLI at 90 days. It was denied, sole reason too many inquiries. I have tried two more times since and still denied same reason. They are correct, I have too many inquiries, but it does seem like Cap One has tightened up recently.

BK CH7 Discharged 03/2015
FICO8 EQ-657 TU-657 EX-665
Revolving credit lines 125k.
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same. I just had a Capital One cut its 5th statement and no CLI love from them at all. Every time I get the response that I have too many recent inquiries. I don't have any inquiries on Equifax in the last 5 months and the last one I have on there is from Capital One. I put at least $300 a month spend through that card and pay it almost completely off every month.

Message 5 of 15
ladybug2016
Regular Contributor

Thanks so much washpadude & momx5 for your replies!

Guess they are tightening up.

I've read a zillion posts on this forum in the past year and I just don't remember reading that inquires were a reason for denial in the past.

I'd be nice to know how many they think is too many.

Thanks again!

Message 6 of 15
its_mona
New Contributor

Ladybug2016 just had this same exact issue. Had my card 1yr this month, guess I'm stuck with this measly $1300...funny thing is i started a chat to find out what was too many and the reaponse I got eas basically equifax just tells them you have too many inquiries. I call BS but oh well, it will just stay put away for another 6months.
scores as of 9/5/16| EX 676| EQ 622| TU 649

Message 7 of 15
ladybug2016
Regular Contributor

@its_mona wrote:
Ladybug2016 just had this same exact issue. Had my card 1yr this month, guess I'm stuck with this measly $1300...funny thing is i started a chat to find out what was too many and the reaponse I got eas basically equifax just tells them you have too many inquiries. I call BS but oh well, it will just stay put away for another 6months.

Hi Mona,

Thanks for your reply and sorry you had the same experience.

I tried again last night with the same results. 

How many is too many? 1  haha?

Good luck to you the next time you try! 

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

There have actually been a few in recent weeks reporting the same thing. I got my 3rd cut increase a couple of days ago with 5 EQ inquiries. For the sake of science, I should see if I get declined on my credit steps by having too many at that point. TIme for an app spree... I mean, science.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ! This actually just happened to me Tuesday! I had set my calendar to alert me when to request my increase ( as I do every 6mths) I hit the love button and got the same message. I will receive a letter in 2-3 days. I was completely shocked!! I have been with Cap 1 since 2013 , I have 2 cards with them NEVER been late or over the limit. Heavy usuage with very low balances! They declined my increase for inquiries as well. UNFINGBELIEVABLE! I just went car shopping last year around this time and received like 10 hard pulls on my 2016 new car( which I love) BUT , still really pissed at this. I am definitely going to write the CEO and explain how I feel. 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.