Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Response to CLI Request

tag
AbsentMindedProfessor
Contributor

Capital One Response to CLI Request

I had sent a number of CLI requests out about 2 weeks ago pointing out my credit improvement initiatives as well as providing proof of income in the hopes of getting my average accounts limit over the $2,000 dollar mark.  Capital One replied with the following somewhat cryptic message, that I can't really equate with a yes or no.  As near as I can tell if I keep up five months of on time payments I'll get an increase...any thoughts based on the quote below:

"Thanks for contacting us about your Capital One account. 

You were disclosed a pre-qualified credit line amount above your initial credit line.  you may be eligible to access the full pre-qualified line if you complete the following steps:

* Activate and use (any activity that would create a payment due) the card within the first 5 months of the account opening.

* Make the first five monthly payment son time"

Starting Score: 578 (3/11/13)
Low Score: 501 (9/28/13)
Current Score: 738 (8/7/15)
Goal Score: 720

My Credit Repair Journal
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
txmomma26
Regular Contributor

Re: Capital One Response to CLI Request

Sounds like the credit steps program. Use your card once a month, pay in full almost immediately after using/before the due date and you should see an auto CLI on the 6-7th statement.

You can also chat online with a rep who can confirm the statement that you're eligible for the increase.
Start: (2-26): EQ 602 (Myfico) TU 579 (Credit Karma) EX 634 FAKO
Current: (7-12): EQ 690(myfico) WalmartTU 696 EX 689 (lender 6-3)
1st Goal: 680 across the board - DONE June 2013!
2nd Goal: 725 across the board
Message 2 of 6
AbsentMindedProfessor
Contributor

Thanks for the feedback.  I already started down that path and have set calendar reminders not only to pay the bill, but also to use the card so that there is a bill to pay (I'd recently paid it down to zero)

Starting Score: 578 (3/11/13)
Low Score: 501 (9/28/13)
Current Score: 738 (8/7/15)
Goal Score: 720

My Credit Repair Journal
Message 3 of 6
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Yes, it's steps. Just a fair warning about their program; typically there's only one increase, and instead of any future CLI's, they prefer you to close, and reapply. This is one of the major reasons you'll see commentary about Cap One EO intervention quite a bit on this site.

Message 4 of 6
goldenyears
New Contributor

This thread has me worried now.  I received the rewards card in December (the one for average credit) and there was no mention at the time that this was a repair card or anything of the sort.  Just last month I recieved the letter saying I was elibgible to receive an automatice $500 increase after paying five months on time.  I was planning to ask for more, since I have been using this card heavily (auto bill pay, etc., paid in full every month) and maybe transferring to the rewards card with no fee next year.

So I am not going to be able to get more than $2500 on this card ever?  

Starting Score: 523 TU: 3/15/2012
Current Score: 732 EQ 09/03/2014
Next Goal Score: steady 750 by Jan 2017

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 6
Henchman21
Frequent Contributor

@goldenyears wrote:

This thread has me worried now.  I received the rewards card in December (the one for average credit) and there was no mention at the time that this was a repair card or anything of the sort.  Just last month I recieved the letter saying I was elibgible to receive an automatice $500 increase after paying five months on time.  I was planning to ask for more, since I have been using this card heavily (auto bill pay, etc., paid in full every month) and maybe transferring to the rewards card with no fee next year.

So I am not going to be able to get more than $2500 on this card ever?  

No, that's not true. Capital One has a tendency to set maximum limits based on your credit report when you apply for the card. So when your credit has increased nicely and you have other cards with higher limits, they still consider you by your original report. That's why you see $10k, $12k limits on other cards, but still $2k on Captial one and why you have more success by closing that card and reapplying. However, there are many cli successes seen on the credit card forum where people have appealed directly to the EO. It's best to have a low balance on the card, and the your credit cleaned up nicely when you ask. But you can increase that limit, don't give up. Do some searches for Cap One EO cli success. Good luck!

2/16/13 Scores EX: 594, TU:513, EQ:563 -- Cap One Secured: $200, Kay's: $400

GOAL #1: 625 -- CHECK!

3/31/15 Scores TU: 621 -- Cap One Secured: $750, Kay's: $900, CareCredit: $1000, Aerie $350, Fingerhut $1350

Goal #2: A travel card. REC ME!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.