Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One SCC

tag
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

Capital One SCC

I'm interested in getting a CapitalOne secured credit card.

I had an account with CapitalOne back in 2006/2007, I settled it and closed it when going to college because I knew I would not have any means to keep paying a credit card bill when I knew I wouldn't be working while attending school.

So am I even eligible to open another account with them even though its secured? Or is there another company just a good that I could possibly go with? I'm open for any suggestions.

Thank you.

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Capital One SCC

Capital 1 does not blacklist past a few years you very well may be able to qualify for an unsecured card. A settled account is better than an IIB or CO. Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 16
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

Capital 1 does not blacklist past a few years you very well may be able to qualify for an unsecured card. A settled account is better than an IIB or CO. Good luck Smiley Happy

I have a paid CO with them that is not even on my CR anymore and it is still used as a reason I cannot get credit with them. 

Message 3 of 16
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@guiness56 wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

I have a paid CO with them that is not even on my CR anymore and it is still used as a reason I cannot get credit with them. 

Interesting, might be something else involved as well. I had over 25K in COs with Cap-1 in 2003 due to illness and re aquired a card from them in 2011. I have read in other forums that people who currently have a CO showing from them on their reports have sucessfully gotten a new card from them. Though when it comes to this it is YMMV.

Message 4 of 16
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

Interesting, might be something else involved as well. I had over 25K in COs with Cap-1 in 2003 due to illness and re aquired a card from them in 2011. I have read in other forums that people who currently have a CO showing from them on their reports have sucessfully gotten a new card from them. Though when it comes to this it is YMMV.

Yes it is YMMV.  Nothing else involved on my part. 

And, yes, a lot of posters have been able to get another card with them, even with upaid COs.  But others haven't.

For whatever reasons they may have, the do blacklist some.

Message 5 of 16
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

I still see them on my credit report even though I paid the settlement, that's what worries me.

But thank you, I'll be applying sometime in January, I'll advise how it went.

Message 6 of 16
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

How would one know if they were blacklisted or not though?

Trial and error?

Message 7 of 16
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Yep.  When I apply I get a message that says something along the lines of "Thank you for being interested in our product, however, our records indicate you have a previous  CO with our company"

It doesn't state a paid CO, I called them and they said their records show it as paid.  To me that is blacklisting lol.

Message 8 of 16
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Whitneyy wrote:

How would one know if they were blacklisted or not though?

Trial and error?

Typically it would be an immediate denial, some creditors wont even pull a CR if you are on the list. There is no other way to really know until you try, just be advised that Cap-1 is a triple puller so you will have to decide if it is worth the shot to go for anything with them at this point in time.

Message 9 of 16
guiness56
Epic Contributor

You can also go to their website and see if they have any pre-approvals.  It is a SP.  If they do you can apply, which is a HP.  Pre-approval doesn't mean approval though.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.