cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Secured Card CLI

tag
fico_newb

Capital One Secured Card CLI

I got a secured Capital One card in September 2015, I've had 6 statements and have now received a CLI of $300. I initally put a $99 deposit for a $200 credit limit. I now have a $500 credit limit after just 6 months! I remember reading that this does not happen offten? I was a bit surpised by it. :-)

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
SirTilus
Contributor

Re: Capital One Secured Card CLI

Congrats on the CLI! I tried doing the same as you did because I had opened in September as well but the response I got was they do not do CLIs on secured cards...only difference from what I see is that you put only half down of what your SL was. I put $300 for a $300 limit...
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

As I understand it, they do CLIs, however they don't grant CLIs by request. Many report getting a CLI at the six month mark

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Back when I first opened my secured Capital One, the above statement came true - I got an increase at 6 months with no late payments.

I opened the account with a credit limit of $500 (don't remember exactly what my deposit was, but it wasn't the entire amount).  Six months later I got bumped up to $750.  And there it sat for the remainder of its lmulti-year ife (closed it a while ago).  "No credit line increases on secured accounts" except the single unsolicited surprise one mentioned before.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

They only do reviews of the accounts occasionally and give out the CLI. They wont accept them from a request online. I got my $300 bump on mine after my 9th statement. Congrats on the increase!!
Message 5 of 11
fico_newb

Thank you all. Just for some more information on: I've "chatted" with a rep using the chat feature on their site once a month since January asking if I am eligable for a CLI and I kept getting the same answer. "After your sixth statment someone will review your account and if you are eligable, you will receive an increase by your 9th statement" or something along those lines. Every month I used the card up to about 95% and paid in full sometimes between payday and my due date (7-16 of each month). Here is my payment history incase anyone is interested in how I managed my card. 

Payment Activity.png

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did the same with my card and did not receive my increase until the middle of last month. I have had the card since June 2015. All good things come with time. If you haven't applied for the QS1 or Platinum you should consider doing so. They work well together. The secured cards really are not meant to grow and become your main card. If you have the scores to get unsecured then i'd say go for that and cut your ties with the secured!
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm hoping hubby's secured Cap1 will get a CLI soon, his 6th statement cuts on the 14th. This is his play card that he can use for whatever he wants to without checking with me. He just tells me when he uses it so I can make sure it gets paid. I use my secured card the same way
Message 8 of 11
fico_newb

I'm going to tell my wife that this is my play card. let's see how that goes :-)

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm hoping hubby's secured Cap1 will get a CLI soon, his 6th statement cuts on the 14th. This is his play card that he can use for whatever he wants to without checking with me. He just tells me when he uses it so I can make sure it gets paid. I use my secured card the same way

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just remember that I'm not responsible for any injury you may receive. Lol.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.