cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Secured Card Credit Limit INCREASE!!

tag
Buddha61

Re: Capital One Secured Card Credit Limit INCREASE!!

I created an account solely for this post. So, in June 2012, I opened a Cap1 Secured card, got the $200 for $49 deal. (I have student loan default, and past colelctions). In October of 2012, I got a 2nd card from Cap1, assuming that on my start to creating good credit, while working on the bad, 2 cards would be better. This time, it was $99 for $200, and I added an aditional $100, making it a $301 limit. Fast forward until now. That $301 card had got a CLI of $100 after 6 or 8 months of use, but the $200 limit card never saw anything. 

Well today, when I go to  log in to pay my bill, I see $500+ in availble cred on the card that should have only had a $200 limit. When I look at it now, that card has been given a CLI to $750. I am not sure if that is some sort of graduation (which I was pretty certain that Cap1 doesn't do with their secured cards), but $750 seems like it would be a 'normalish' limit for an unsecured card starting out. I had looked at the card Saturday, and it was still showing the $200 limit, so that increase happened some time during this week. I am going to be looking in the mail soon to see if I get anything sent from them as well.

Bottom line though, Cap1 will do CLI on the secured cards, but sometimes with little understanding. At times, those increases can be significant. I highly recommend Cap1 for someone looking to get secured cards, as the $29 annual fee is reasonable, and the fact that they are only partially secured, at least for most applicants.

Message 31 of 96
RedHairedLady
Established Member

Congrats! Thanks for posting this - very helpful!

Message 32 of 96
Amandan824

I just received my first credit limit increase on 4/29 for $500 after having the card for 2 years almost! It was only a $250 limit. Feels good to be rewarded finally!
Message 33 of 96
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

@Buddha61 wrote:

I created an account solely for this post. So, in June 2012, I opened a Cap1 Secured card, got the $200 for $49 deal. (I have student loan default, and past colelctions). In October of 2012, I got a 2nd card from Cap1, assuming that on my start to creating good credit, while working on the bad, 2 cards would be better. This time, it was $99 for $200, and I added an aditional $100, making it a $301 limit. Fast forward until now. That $301 card had got a CLI of $100 after 6 or 8 months of use, but the $200 limit card never saw anything. 

Well today, when I go to  log in to pay my bill, I see $500+ in availble cred on the card that should have only had a $200 limit. When I look at it now, that card has been given a CLI to $750. I am not sure if that is some sort of graduation (which I was pretty certain that Cap1 doesn't do with their secured cards), but $750 seems like it would be a 'normalish' limit for an unsecured card starting out. I had looked at the card Saturday, and it was still showing the $200 limit, so that increase happened some time during this week. I am going to be looking in the mail soon to see if I get anything sent from them as well.

Bottom line though, Cap1 will do CLI on the secured cards, but sometimes with little understanding. At times, those increases can be significant. I highly recommend Cap1 for someone looking to get secured cards, as the $29 annual fee is reasonable, and the fact that they are only partially secured, at least for most applicants.

You were able to get TWO secured ones? 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 34 of 96
Conswalla
Contributor

Capital One just increased the limit on my secured card from $250 to $1000. Very unexpected but much appreciated. Wal-Mart increased my limit from $400 too $1000 as well. 👍
Message 35 of 96
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

@Conswalla wrote:
Capital One just increased the limit on my secured card from $250 to $1000. Very unexpected but much appreciated. Wal-Mart increased my limit from $400 too $1000 as well. 👍

Oh wow! Amazing! How long have you had it?

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 36 of 96
Buddha61

@Whitneyy wrote:

You were able to get TWO secured ones? 

Yes.

Message 37 of 96
Ragelog
Established Contributor

Nearly two years in never a late payment or balance carried yet Capital One give no love :/

EQ04 675, EQ08 676, EX08 719, TU08 703 $12704.75/$123050 Revolving Credit (All 0% or 1.99%) - In Garden Since 5/25/2016

Last negative item should fall off in July 2017.
Message 38 of 96
sistasweetpea
New Visitor

I've had my Capital One Secure Card since 10/2012, $99 for $200 limit. At six months, it increased to $300. This month, it increased to $750. I never paid any more deposits, and never missed a payment, usually paid in full. My dad recieved an unsolicited CLI this month too. 

Message 39 of 96
broughtb
New Visitor

I created an account just to post....I was really skeptical of secured cards and if they would help at all, but I went for it 6 months ago and had to pay the full $200 for a $200 credit line.

I just hit 6 months yesterday, and apparently Capital One decided to give me a $300 increase. I had to call them to make sure there wasn't some sort of error. I have made sure to use the full $200 each month, with a full payoff before the due date.

I'm really amazed and surprised. Hopefully good things will continue!
Message 40 of 96
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.