Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Settlement

tag
huntsmama
New Contributor

Re: Capital One Settlement

Me again! So I did a dispute through the three bureaus, so far Experian and Equifax have updated, nothing from transunion but here's the catch. They didn't update my balance! They removed all the charge off entries and have now changed it to Charge Off (July08) and then 120-30 days past due down a scale ending in November 08, then no reporting data for the rest of the time between then.

I'm guessing I need to go about this the old fashioned way and send copies of the 1099-C to the bureaus so they investigate the actual reason I'm requesting instead of some computer generated standard reasoning. I'm scared of going straight to the source and contacting Capital One...but if it's better to call them and say "What is going on" I will, but I'd rather wait till the TransUnion report is updated to do that.

Advice? (Again, I know, I'm annoying)

Message 11 of 18
huntsmama
New Contributor

That was easy! I called them and they were very pleasant (shocking) I didn't even have to say why I was calling, they said that they had to issue an update through their system and then send an update to the credit bureau's! They said "We forgave this debt, so you no longer owe it" one of them said "That's an exciting thing!!!" hahahahaha thanks again for all the help everyone!

Message 12 of 18
Jaguars28fan
Contributor

I was just in the same situation as you.  I actually got them to delete my account entirely.  It took about 3 months, but I called several times.  I talked to about 4-5 reps.  A few told me I had to pay it and then I was going settle.  They ended up telling me I don't have to pay, its only voluntary. Again,  I kept calling and eventually someone told me they'd dispute it with the bureaus and they would remove it. 

Message 13 of 18
huntsmama
New Contributor

I saw your post yesterday about yours,  I didn't even have to say why I was calling so it wasn't so much of a fight! It's going to fall off my report in June anyway so I'm not going to waste the energy on having them delete the whole line now. If they take it upon themselves to do so then WAHOOOOOO!!!!!

This is the first time I've been happy to pay the tax man!

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

what was y'all secret?  I just spent over 30 minutes with them, talked to three different folks and got nowhere!  And actually, the second rep was very rude, first one and last one was very nice but firm in their reporting of the debt. 

Message 15 of 18
huntsmama
New Contributor

I have no secret, I litterally called and just said "You sent me a 1099-C..." and she was like "WE FORGAVE THE DEBT! That's great!!!" I was super nice, so I don't know if that helped or if I just had good luck on the rep.

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

did you call the phone number on the 1099-c or their main account number?

Message 17 of 18
huntsmama
New Contributor

Honestly, I'm not sure. I'd google and call any number you can find for their recovery department...and if one doesn't work use another

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.