cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One—Too many payments in one billing cycle?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One—Too many payments in one billing cycle?

Thanks for the advice.

Message 11 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same thing happened to my second Capital One card. Make about a half dozen payments of $400 and every single time a 5 day hold. It became too hard to use the card with only a $500 limit and 5 day holds each time.

Message 12 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have three capital one cards and pay them all off in full every saturday. Never had any problems

Message 13 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's concerning. I've already made about 4-5 payments on my QS1 since I got the card less than a month ago. Weird.

Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can pay with your debit card over the phone. If the payment is processed before 8pm the money will be available the next morning. It will not put a hold on the funds. If you decide to pay online or through the app you will have to call once the funds clear your bank and they will call your bank and release the find that way. I found the easiest was to pay was by using my debit card.
Message 15 of 27
truckerwife
Valued Member

I make a payment on my card constantly.   If I use it, I go home and make a payment.  I agree with the other posters, just don't charge it up to the limit. 

Currently TU - 702!! EQ - 651 EXP - 651
Started TU-502 EQ-572 EXP-?? (6/14)
Initial Goal 700 across the board
Message 16 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

btw. I mentioned I made upto 10-15 patments a month, but I never used CC more then 40% (usually 20-30%, 2-3 times 35-38% especially when Quicksilver was $300) - I paid balance right after it is posted.

Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've worked at a financial institution for many years.  Banks will put a freeze on a credit card only for a few reasons.  The obvious being if they suspect fraud or if a product/service is not being used for its intended purpose.  As far as I know, banks will not freeze a card for making "too many" payments.  What they can freeze it for is if there is a point where you are paying over your $300 credit line which in turn allows you to go over your credit limit.  I had customers who had $500 secured cards but would make an overpayment of $200 thinking their avaiable credit line was now $700 (even if temporary).  Banks do not like to see this when it happens.  Each financial institution is a little different but I would highly doubt if they did something like this.  Remember (and speaking from experience), not every associate/rep is going to be 100% knowledgeable.  Guidelines are constantly changing in the banking industry and not everyone is allowed the time to keep up with training.  If in doubt, always escalate to supervisor/manager.  If you don't want to be rude, just hang up and call back to speak to someone else.  Your best course of action is to not run your credit limit up so high and wait for the increase.  If you don't want to wait then speak to a supervisor and ask that they increase the limit because you checked with other banks and they do not freeze your account for making too many payments (be polite of course).  Again, make sure you are ONLY using your $300 credit limit and not going over it -- in other words, when you make a payment does it appear like you have a larger credit limit of $300?  Hope this helps!

Message 18 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
You can pay with your debit card over the phone. If the payment is processed before8pm the money will be available the next morning. It will not put a hold on the funds. If you decide to payonline or through the app you will have to call once the funds clear your bank and they will call your bank and release the find that way. I found the easiest was to pay was by using my debit card.

Good Advice. I normally pay online through my checking account. I will try this next week.

Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I've worked at a financial institution for many years.  Banks will put a freeze on a credit card only for a few reasons.  The obvious being if they suspect fraud or if a product/service is not being used for its intended purpose.  As far as I know, banks will not freeze a card for making "too many" payments.  What they can freeze it for is if there is a point where you are paying over your $300 credit line which in turn allows you to go over your credit limit.  I had customers who had $500 secured cards but would make an overpayment of $200 thinking their avaiable credit line was now $700 (even if temporary).  Banks do not like to see this when it happens.  Each financial institution is a little different but I would highly doubt if they did something like this.  Remember (and speaking from experience), not every associate/rep is going to be 100% knowledgeable.  Guidelines are constantly changing in the banking industry and not everyone is allowed the time to keep up with training.  If in doubt, always escalate to supervisor/manager.  If you don't want to be rude, just hang up and call back to speak to someone else.  Your best course of action is to not run your credit limit up so high and wait for the increase.  If you don't want to wait then speak to a supervisor and ask that they increase the limit because you checked with other banks and they do not freeze your account for making too many payments (be polite of course).  Again, make sure you are ONLY using your $300 credit limit and not going over it -- in other words, when you make a payment does it appear like you have a larger credit limit of $300?  Hope this helps!

As soon as the CSR, stated that I was making too many payments, I knew he didn't know what he was talking about. Numerous of other people run their card up and pay many  times within a month. I tend to run both cards to the max and then pay them both off in full before the statement. Capital one wont allow you to pay more than 10% excess of your current balance, and this problem only happened with my Quicksilver card. I treat the platinum card the same way and it has never been frozen. I think the advice given earlier about paying with a debit card instead of my checking account my help this situation. 

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.