Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One & PRA

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One & PRA

I'm hoping i could get advice on the best course of action to take on this matter.

I've been rebuilding since mid last year.  I used to have a secured CAP ONE card opened at the end of 2011 and I went deliquent the beginning of 2013 and eventually was charged off by CAP ONE.  The reason i went deliquent is because i used the card over the limit by a couple hundred dollars and then had trouble paying it back down below the limit before they closed the account.

I am in CA so i think i have another year for SOL.  This morning i got an alert from MyFico that a new collection had been added, it is PRA, looks like they bought the debt.

In the past I already tried disputing errors on the CAP ONE report but they simply updated their reporting and the account remained.  I also tried calling them and asking them to open a new card and even apply my owed money to the balance of my new card, they declined.

I'm thinking if I simply pay CAP ONE right now and then do a DV with PRA, they should remove the PRA account since they wont be able to validate and if they do, i've heard their validation letter is really lame and I can simply do a BBB FCRA complaint and get it removed that way.

My main concern is getting PRA removed so i dont have this new collection on my report.

Does anyone have a better idea of how to handle or can you provide more advice? Please let me know if i left out any required info to assess my situation.

Thank you

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Capital One & PRA

If Cap-1 has sold the debt you cannot pay them they are no longer the legal owners, they would also have to update their TL to a 0 balance, sold to another lender and stop updating monthly if that is what they have been doing, you can always send them a Section 623 direct dispute if there are errors in their reporting. What I would do is call Cap-1 and see if they still own it, if they dont then I would be paying PRA quickly in exchange for not reporting it.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.