cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One pre-approved...but denied...suggestions?

tag
Techngro
Established Member

Capital One pre-approved...but denied...suggestions?

I have been rebuilding for almost two years now. I started with a Cap One secured card, then got pre-approved for a Merrick Bank card, then added a few store cards. My credit scores have slowly been climbing, but I wasn't planning on applying for any new cards in the next 6 months or so. But today I recieved a Capital One pre-approval for their Platinum Card. The terms looked good (no annual fee, 0 APR until Feb, etc), so I decided to apply online using the website on the letter.

Well, I was denied. Which kind of pisses me off because I heard that they pull all three credit reports. They said I would receive a letter in a few weeks.

Is it worth it at all to try and call someone to review my application? 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
spike69
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital One pre-approved...but denied...suggestions?

You could recon or contact the EO. I've seen a lot of success with this on the boards here.

Message 2 of 8
BigBS
Senior Contributor

You have already eaten the HP, so nothing to lose from a recon.  Remember, those pre-approval letters/messages are simply that . . . letters/messages.  Not a guarantee of anything.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 3 of 8
Cat27hargadon
New Contributor

What do you mean by "recon or contacting the EO"? 

Message 4 of 8
CreditHealthy
Established Contributor

Good morning! Did you get denied or was it a 7-10 day message? My BF received the 7-10 message and called them up, He had lost his wallet a few months ago and also reported this to the credit reporting agencies so as a result they would not consider giving him credit until he faxed over a picture of his Drivers license and SS card. We will see what will happen next.....Give them a call, Good luck!

What's in my sock drawer? NFCU LOC 15,000] NFCU Cash Rewards 20,000][ Golden 1Platinum Rewards Card 6,600 Discover It 5,000,] {NFCU goRewards 17,500} Barclaycard 1250.00,]Cap one 750.00 ], Watering my garden for the next five years:-)
EQUIFAX 727 EXPERIAN 732 TRANSUNION 743 FICO} STARTING SCORE....554 July 2013
Message 5 of 8
Techngro
Established Member

I'm sorry, I know recon means reconsideration, but what is an EO? 

I think I will call them tomorrow. I know the pre-approval wasn't a guarantee, but i'm still kinda po'd. 

Message 6 of 8
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

@Techngro wrote:

I'm sorry, I know recon means reconsideration, but what is an EO? 

I think I will call them tomorrow. I know the pre-approval wasn't a guarantee, but i'm still kinda po'd. 

Executive office

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 7 of 8
Techngro
Established Member

@June2012:

No, it said they could not approve me. 

Thanks for the responses guys and gals. I will contact them tomorrow and see what can be done. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.