Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One reporting as collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One reporting as collection

Hello all! I think I might be reaching a bit with this once, but I was just curious. On my TU report, I have an old Capital One account that was charged-off and is reporting as $0. There is also another account on the report that says is from Capital One but shows as a collection that is open with a balance of $831. I know that debt is valid but it says Capital One instead of Portfolio Recovery Associates, who I know purchased the debt because it shows on my other 2 reports.

Here's a link to the TU collection account I'm talking about.

http://s29.postimg.org/i0e3x78fr/image.png

So I'm just wondering if there's anything that can be done to maybe have this taken off, or if I'm really reaching when it's just a name. The account shows the address and phone number for PRA, but the name on top says Capital One. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance everyone!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One reporting as collection

bump

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Capital One reporting as collection

Is 12/19/2014 the date you opened the account with them as the OC?

It is not impossible for an OC to report as a debt collector, but that would only happen if they are using a name that is different from their OC name, implying they are a thrid party.  Under such conditions, the original creditor can become a debt collector.

Howver, they are reporting using the same name, so that does not appear to be their rationale.  it does appear that it should not be a collection.

Perhaps they reported referral of the debt for collection, and it was improperly recorded as a collection.

I woud call them and inquire as to their reporting and intent.  It is a strange situation that needs clarification.......

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.