Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One's Credit Steps Program

tag
randaljon
Regular Contributor

Capital One's Credit Steps Program

January/2011 I was approved for a Capital One card $500 limit. I thought being part of the credit steps programs I would get an increased CL. Instead they sent me a 2nd account with $750 limit. Now I have 2 cards.

Will it hurt my credit to close the smaller card? I rather use the new card because I earn reward dollars.

Should I keep both open?

Starting Scores(Jan/2011): EQ 564 TU 538 EXP 576
Current Score: EQ 692 TU 728 EXP 710 (Quizzle FAKO)Goal Score: 720

Wallet: Grow Visa 500, Capital One MC 2000, Capital One MC 1250, Paypal MC 3000, Jared 10500, Kay 2000, Walmart 2050, TJX Rewards 1200
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Capital One's Credit Steps Program

Weird. That's a new one ~ I have never heard of cap1 just sending a whole new card. And you didn't apply for a new account either right ?

What did your credit steps letter say ? Did it mention anything about a new card ??

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 7
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

I would not close out that CC, not until you get a major CC under your belt or maybe a few major ones.

Contact Cap one, Ask whats sup?

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same exact things happened to me, got pre approved for one in 07, opened it and got cl of 500, 2 years later got another pre approved with cl of 750 came with rewards. I tried to close smaller one and transfer balance, but they didn't allow, so kept both and now their cl rose to 1k and 1250 respectively.
Message 4 of 7
stoopidmunkee
Regular Contributor

Yea that's happened to me. I would keep it for a while until you can get a better card, at least that's my plan.
CITI - $3500 - CAP1 - $750 - RZMC - $600 - BOA - $600 - CAP2 -$500 - Credit Union $500

TU: 707 (From Wal-Mart's website) * Finally made the 700 club!!!!!!!*
Message 5 of 7
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

i have 2 of the step cards, my regular cap 1 plat, the cred was just bumped up

I havent gotten a bump on my card just yet... 

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 6 of 7
samy2576
New Contributor

Definitely keep it open. Multiple accounts with balances under 9 percent seems to be the way to go. It would also shorten your average account age, which would be bad.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.