Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One ?

I recently closed my capital one platnium card due to high interest rates almost 30%. I wanted to know if I reopened the card would I still have the age of the card which i had opened in 2005?.Will the card reopen with the same date as the other closed card with capital one? It was my oldest card and I really didn't know that it would affedt me. I was mad because they wouldn't reduce my interest rate.
Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Capital One ?

Not a concern.  You still have its age, for better or worse. No need to reopen for that puropose.

Closing an account does not delete it from your AAoA calcualtion until, usually, ten years from its date of closing.

All you have lost lost is its Crap1 CL.

If you attempt to reopen, they are going to hit you with a hard pull.

Leave it in its grave unless you want to recapture its magical high CL!

Message 3 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

IF you really are able to re-open that same card, then you should get your age back. Good luck with that.
Message 2 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Not a concern.  You still have its age, for better or worse. No need to reopen for that puropose.

Closing an account does not delete it from your AAoA calcualtion until, usually, ten years from its date of closing.

All you have lost lost is its Crap1 CL.

If you attempt to reopen, they are going to hit you with a hard pull.

Leave it in its grave unless you want to recapture its magical high CL!

Message 3 of 9
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

But ofcourse you will have the age. Hmm...what was I thinking now?

You will lose the utl only. You will still have the age and the payment history for the card!

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, so do you think if i reopen the card my credit score will increase over time. The credit line was only a measly 500 which is another reason why i closed it. they would increase the CL. After four years of having the card.
Message 5 of 9
jackg
Established Contributor

Not likely
FICO scores on November 17, 2014 (prior to applying for and being approved my mortgage)

EX=738
EQ=735
TU=754

FICO scores on March 4, 2015 after being approved for mortgage and buying the home, the mortgage isn't yet reporting.
EX- 689 EQ- 739 TU- 739
Message 6 of 9
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

Well, if you do reopen the same card, you should retain the age which should help your AAoA as long as the card is older than your AAoA. AAoA constitutes 15 % of your scoring.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

thought they were supposed to give increases every 3 months. Guess not.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, but only if they allow you to re-open it. It is up to the company.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.