Capital one sucks!!

tag
Cashbackjunky
Established Contributor

Re: Capital one sucks!!

+1 to @happypill.

Welcome to the forum!

Cheers!
AmEx Blue Cash Preferred - $20k | | AmEx Cash Magnet - $20k | | Apple Card - $29k | | BofA Customized Cash - $96k | | BofA Customized Cash - $25k | | BofA Unlimited Cash - $30k | | CapOne Quicksilver - $16.25k | | CapOne Venture - $30k | | Chase Amazon - $26.7k | | Chase Freedom Unlimited - $24k | | Chase Freedom - $16k | | Chase Freedom Flex - $41k | | Citi Custom Cash - $17.9k | | Citi Rewards+ - $15.4k | | Discover It Cash Back - $18k | | Discover It Cash Back - $21.3k | |Discover It Travel - $14.5k | | Elan Max Cash Preferred- $15k | | PayPal Cashback Mastercard - $20k | | PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature - $12.5k | | PenFed Power Cash - $12.5k | | Synchrony Discount Tire Card - $25k | | Wells Fargo Autograph - $25k
837 INQ:
836 INQ:
825 INQ:

TCL: $571.05k CCs:23 AAoA: 6yr 1mo Util: ~1% Derog: 0

Mortgage: $215.1k Sonata Lease: $1.3k Palisade: $23.8k
Message 11 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nikame81 wrote:
No matter what good odds i get to apply for a capital one card, i get denied!! My credit was climbing thanks to fingerhut and a secured loan but now the inquiry from capital one will bring me down again... i dont think i will ever apply with them again...

That's odd indeed. I got my three Cap One cards when my scores were in the high 500's.  Get a good secured credit card, and eventually the flood gates will open for you.  Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 to what everyone said about Credit Karma and Credit Sesame.  Aside from the marketing, they tend to be outright wrong and they often conflict with each other.  Yesterday I opened them both at the same time and every single recommendation was conflicting.  In general,  both of them tell me I have amazing odds for cards I've been denied for,  I have Poor odds for cards I currently have and was recently approved for and I think they have "Fair" listed under my current highest limit card.   Use the prequalification pages for various lenders to your advantage where you can. I got both of my rebuilders via Capital One.  It might just take you some extra time.  Which card did you apply for?  The Platinum?  The secured definitely might be more appropriate.  If not their secured, someone else's. 

Message 13 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

You will only take a very small hit from the HP's and bounce back quickly. Smiley Happy

Not a fan of Cap 1 either.

Approved with BoA($1500 SL), Discover($7000 SL) and Chase($2500 SL) but cant get a Cap! LOL. They have mail offered me a ton and i have preapprovals on their site...

Scores all above 660, 0% util.(Only a Target card($1100 CL) and one from my bank($500 CL) when I applied) 3-5 HP's all over 1 year old... No BK's or lates and my age is almost three years. One old collection for $500 in dispute.

Only other I have is a car loan just under $10,000.

Applied about 13 months ago and this week, denied. Im done with them, I not even going to recon. Waiting on my letter...

Maybe they dont forgive, I burned them for about $600 20 years ago or so.

Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think this needs to be retitled, "Credit Sesame Sucks". Seriously though, go to the card companies pre-qual page. They will be the most accurate. Capital One's pre-qual is pretty good. 

Good luck!

Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly, I would suggest that you start off in the rebuilder forum and work on clearing your baddies as best as possible.  Also, you're going to need to let some of those inquiries age before you seek new credit.

Like everyone else said, CreditKarma and like sites are not accurate and will cause issues like this.  Next time, check the Cap1 pre-qual and go from there.  Also, I suggest that you app specificially for the secured card once your report cleans up a little bit.  Good Luck!  I started off in the low 500s and it has been a stuggle, but you'll get there with time and patience.   

Message 16 of 27
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

And what other low fee non-predatory banks have approved you???

@Nikame81 wrote:
No matter what good odds i get to apply for a capital one card, i get denied!! My credit was climbing thanks to fingerhut and a secured loan but now the inquiry from capital one will bring me down again... i dont think i will ever apply with them again...

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 17 of 27
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

+1 to what everyone said about Credit Karma and Credit Sesame.  Aside from the marketing, they tend to be outright wrong and they often conflict with each other.  Yesterday I opened them both at the same time and every single recommendation was conflicting.  In general,  both of them tell me I have amazing odds for cards I've been denied for,  I have Poor odds for cards I currently have and was recently approved for and I think they have "Fair" listed under my current highest limit card.   Use the prequalification pages for various lenders to your advantage where you can. I got both of my rebuilders via Capital One.  It might just take you some extra time.  Which card did you apply for?  The Platinum?  The secured definitely might be more appropriate.  If not their secured, someone else's. 

I dropped Sesame when they switched to scores from TU, already have that from CK and they do a much better job. But what amazes me is that I assume getting you to app for credit from their site is their main source of revenue, and 99% of the time CK recommends a CC I already have! "Dave, your chances for a Cap One Quicksilver and Bank of America Cash Rewards are excellent!" Duh, Credit Kama - chances are excellent, because I already have both of them! But no biggie, I would never take any of their recommendations seriously anyway.

But really, OP, don't be mad at Cap One because they wouldn't approve you, be mad at CK/CS for misleading you into applying.

Message 18 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I remember correctly NerdWallet has a prequal link where it will go check out various CC issuers for you. You might start monitoring your scores with it. At least when it gives you odds for getting a card it will check your prequal odds before letting you go through with a real application.

Also - Cap1 will pull all three CR when you apply. You mentioned that you have 20 inquiries on your Experian and 10 on your Transunion. In my experience, Experian reports everything from opening a bank account to applying for a revolver. So it's likely that the CC issuer will not worry about some of those.  Assume this is true and figure you have 10 legit inquiries. That is still a lot! It's likely affecting your chances at getting a Cap1 card. 

My recommendation to you would be to call the Cap1 recon line (maybe someone can find that number for you or else simply search the forums) and talk to them. See if, at the very least, you can get a starter card or a secured card and don't let that new hard pull go to waste. Then settle down on applying for any new credit. Give it at least a year or so. 

Good luck.

Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nikame81 wrote:
My credit scores on both credit sesame and ck are 590 and 591. Sesame said fair and karma said poor. I also read reviews of people in the 400s getting approved for basic unsecured card so i thought i had a chance this time. I have mostly medical collections, 2 past charge offs. I have graduated off fingerhut freshstart program and awarded 300 line of revolving credit but it hasnt reported yet. I just want one decent starter card. I also have over 20 inquiries on equifax and ten on transunion.

Fair and Poor are not good odds.   I had 528 Fico scores when I got approved from Capital One Platinum. And I also had a burn of 8k on their card still on my credit report.  I am guessing it is your inquiries they don't like.  I had only a couple when I applied.  They seem to not like that.  Why do you have so many inquiries if you don't have any cards?  Did you try SCT trick?

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.