Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one sucks!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital one sucks!!

@Anonymous wrote:

You will only take a very small hit from the HP's and bounce back quickly. Smiley Happy

Not a fan of Cap 1 either.

Approved with BoA($1500 SL), Discover($7000 SL) and Chase($2500 SL) but cant get a Cap! LOL. They have mail offered me a ton and i have preapprovals on their site...

Scores all above 660, 0% util.(Only a Target card($1100 CL) and one from my bank($500 CL) when I applied) 3-5 HP's all over 1 year old... No BK's or lates and my age is almost three years. One old collection for $500 in dispute.

Only other I have is a car loan just under $10,000.

Applied about 13 months ago and this week, denied. Im done with them, I not even going to recon. Waiting on my letter...

Maybe they dont forgive, I burned them for about $600 20 years ago or so.

They don't care if you burn them.  

Message 21 of 27
Nikame81

I've tried to do the shopping cart trick but I don't think I'm doing it right. I tried for overstock, but got declined also. I'm just about ready to give up ony credit...
Message 22 of 27
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Thread has been moved to 'Rebuilding' for additional exposure...

--UncleB

myFICO Moderator

Message 23 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't get it also. I did the whole pre qualify page. It only offered me a secured card. Which I didn't want. Crazy I check my fako page it recommended me a QS card. So I said heck let me try. Sure enough I was approved for 300$. I didn't expect an approval. Even right now I'm trying to figure out the secrets of approvals. It has to be more just a score.
Message 24 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I don't get it also. I did the whole pre qualify page. It only offered me a secured card. Which I didn't want. Crazy I check my fako page it recommended me a QS card. So I said heck let me try. Sure enough I was approved for 300$. I didn't expect an approval. Even right now I'm trying to figure out the secrets of approvals. It has to be more just a score.

It is more than a score.  People with high scores get denied, too.  There are stories here of people with real FICO scores in the 800s who get denied.

Creditors look for different things.  Some look at FICO only, others may look at how old your newest account is or what your average age of all accounts is.  Some look for bankruptcies or public records to deny you.  Some may look at low risk late payments (like 1 30 day or 1 60 day) and others ignore it completely.  Some look at how old your youngest collection is.  Some may look at overall utilization (aggregate/average) or your highest utilization on one card.

Remember, when they pull an inquiry, they get that data in a nice digital package and can run it through their filters.  If your FICO is too low, they will deny you instantly and pull FICO's reason codes as to why that is, but those reason codes are FICO's not the creditor's.  If your FICO is in the low range of acceptability, they will then look at other details and if they don't like it, they will spit back FICO's reason codes which again may not be the truth but it's easy and more legal that way.  If you are in the high range of acceptability they may still look at recent inquiries, recent new accounts, overall utilization, etc -- and still may deny you.

The data points we share when we are approved or declined helps others, but in every state the laws vary a tiny bit and different creditors may have slightly different underwriting standards depending on the state you live in.  It is even documented that some creditors may go by your zip code -- if you live in a zip code with declining property values or high unemployment, you may get declined or may get approved but with a toy card limit.

Message 25 of 27
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

more than a score for sure.  cap one gave me two $3000 cards straight out of bk and I burned them for about $4000.  i did have several good accounts with them over the years also though.  i am still under 700 and have grown to about $85,000 total line with them between two cards and a car loan at 2.49%

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 26 of 27
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

@Nikame81 Pull your actual Fico 08 scores from creditchecktotal.com. Ignore the scores from Credit Karma and Credit Sesame, they use Vantage scores which very few lenders use. What are your Fico scores?
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.