Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Loan Not Reported?

tag
storm1204
New Visitor

Car Loan Not Reported?

Hi, I've had a car through a lot for 3 years (6 year loan) high interest rate buy here pay here. They have since started to report to credit bureau. They said I purchased my car before they started reporting so they will not report mine. Can they do this? Is there a way to add tradeline like this to credit? I don't have a lot of positives and this would help a lot. The biggest thing is after the car is paid, I'm stuck at those type of lots because I haven't built a credit history strong enough. Sometimes I want to just give it back and get a car loan from a lot that reports. The myth I hear is they can't report if I turn it in, since they are not reporting now. Its always on ti e because we have the thing on the car where it won't crank if you're more than 3 days late. Whats a good way to handle it and get payment from the high car not that I pay every month.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Car Loan Not Reported?

Hi and welcome to the forums.

All you can do is ask them to report.  They don't have to.

You can almost rest assured that if you turn it in with a balance owed, they would report you.  Many creditors will only report if you are negative but not the positive account.

Message 2 of 4
storm1204
New Visitor

So are they allowed to report some accounts and not all. Seems weird that a few months after I bought mine they started reporting every ones from that point on but not my account.

Message 3 of 4
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@storm1204 wrote:

So are they allowed to report some accounts and not all. Seems weird that a few months after I bought mine they started reporting every ones from that point on but not my account.

As guiness indicated, they are not required to report only that if they do, the information is accurate. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.