Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Repo on CR (Long)

tag
BrokeBandit
Established Member

Car Repo on CR (Long)

I need help with a car repo that I had with GMAC.  The account activity that led up to the repo was that I was making payments each month, just not full payments.  I contacted GMAC many times hoping they had a program to assist me to get current but they wouldn’t.  My wife was let off from her job and we just couldn’t make the payments, but we never once ran from GMAC or tried to avoid them.  We kept in regular contact with them to say “sorry we can’t pay in full this month, but please take this smaller payment”. 

The car was  repo'd in mid 2008.  It was sold at auction and I was responsible to pay the difference to GMAC.  I made sporadic payments because I rationalized that at that point, basic living costs were priority followed by staying up to date on my current debt.  Middle of 2009 with other things now paid off I began to pay this off in earnest, sometimes 2 payments per month.  Keep in mind that all during this time they refused to set up payment arrangements and wanted it all in full.  I couldn’t afford it so I sent what I could each month.  In mid December 2009 I called them to make a final payment.  It was $100 more than I calculated and I did not have the extra $100.  So the GMAC customer service rep took a post dated check dated for 1/1/2010 for the full remaining balance. 

On 12/31/2009 they charged off the account!  Doh!

My question is, when does the clock begin for credit reporting?  From the time of the first delinquent payment that lead up to the repo?  From the repo date?  Or from the charge off date?  Really want to get this off my credit report!  My wife and I worked so hard to pay it off in full.  And we had the last and final payment ready and they charged it off on us. 

I have been writing to GMAC for so long and they won’t help me. They have been horrible to me from the beginning.  I had arranged a voluntary surrender of the car for a Friday and they came and took it from my office parking lot on a Tuesday, leaving me stranded with my 8 year old in crutches. They knew my situation and therefore were willing to work with me on the voluntary surrender.  But then they turned around and repo’d.

I pulled my three-in one credit report from eliminateidtheft.com and here is how it is reading.  I have to check my reports from the beginning of this year but I do believe it was marked as repossessed at one point.

TransUnion    

Condition:  Derogatory

Pay Status:  Collection/Charge off

Past Due:         $0       

High Balance: $28842

Terms: 36       

Limit:  $0       

Payment:         $0

Opened:          05/12/2005

Reported:        05/21/2009

Responsibility:            Individual

Experian

High Balance: $28842

Terms: 36       

Opened:          05/01/2005

Reported:        01/30/2010

Equifax

High Balance: $15608

Terms: 0

Opened:          05/01/2005

Reported:        02/01/2010

Remarks:

[TransUnion] Charged off as bad debt, Profit and loss write-off
[Experian] Unpaid balance reported as a loss by the credit grantor.

[Equifax] Charged off account Auto

Late Payments 30  60  90  (last 7 years):

TransUnion:  0   0   0

Experian:  16    8   0

Equifax:   16  8   2

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Car Repo on CR (Long)

Hi BrokeBandit - You should use the search box bc there was a discussion around here not long about about when the DOFD starts for repo's as it is different for other kinds of collections/charge offs  etc.  I am leaning to think it was when the car was taken, not when you first went late --- Hopefully someone will come along - I'm almost certain it was RobertEG who knew the scoop for sure.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 8
BrokeBandit
Established Member

I'll try a search, thanks.

Message 3 of 8
esmer0924
Regular Contributor

I have the same issue with Honda Finance of a repo, I am  working on the other items on my credit report first before I try to attempt to handle this bad boy lol  I wish you all the best.

Starting Score: 672 TU, 669 EQ, 659 EX FAKO(10/3/11)
Current Score: 786 TU FICO(5/23/14), 758 EQ FICO (8/01/14), 811 EX FICO (5/26/14)
Goal Score: 720+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 8
BrokeBandit
Established Member

Still need help with this, please.  I found nothing relevant using the search and I sent a PM to RobertEGbut have had no reply.

Thank you!

Message 5 of 8
BrokeBandit
Established Member

Bumping, still need help.  Thanks!

Message 6 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Pull your full reports directly from each CRA. EQ will list a DOFD and TU and EX should list a drop off date by which to subtract 7 years to get a rough DOFD. Your DOFD should start from the first 30, assuming you never brought that month current following the late.

Message 7 of 8
BrokeBandit
Established Member

I did pull my reports directly from the three agencies.

Car was repo-ed July 2008.

EQ DOFD = 7/2008

TU: Drop date = 6/2013

EX: Drop date = 9/2015

So does a car repo stay on your credit report for 7 years of DOFD or 7 years from the time it was repo-ed?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.