Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car payment woes

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Car payment woes

Before my husband and I met, he joined the Air Force and was set to leave for basic. His Dad needed a car, my husband-to-be no longer needed a car, so he gave the car to his Dad to use and pay for instead of selling it outright.

Of course, the title and loan was never officially signed over to Dad because of his terrible credit history. No bank would ever approve him. Somehow, Husband-to-be thought this was all a great idea. (I re-interate that I wasn't in the picture yet because if I were, none of this would have happened under my watch. Smiley Tongue)

Miraculously this car has stayed out of repossesion for the past three years, although not without struggle. We have to keep on top of Dad every month so he makes the payments. Sometimes they're on time, sometimes he's behind as much as 60 days. We've asked for the car back numerous times so we can either sell it or use it ourselves and make the payments, but he won't allow us to do so. I've wanted so, so badly to just report the car stolen so we can get the stupid thing back (the title is in hubby's name), especially during those 60-days late payment streches while Dad won't return our calls, but Husband seems reluctant... and rightfully so, no one wants to hurt their family. But in the end it's hurting us and Dad really doesn't care.

There's roughly $3,000 left on the card and the monthly payments are around $266. To get rid of the problem should we just start paying the car ourselves every month to ensure it's on time? Ride it out until it's paid off?

Husband's credit score is upper 500s. He has two small collections that we're working on gettng removed (utility accounts he thought were settled before he left for basic... he knows now to get everything in writing!) and no other open credit lines. He has one small loan paid off quite recently (all payments on time). We're planning on getting him a secured credit card and adding him as an authorized user on one of my accounts... but all seems useless if Dad is going to continue to be late with his payments!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
mauve
Valued Contributor

Re: Car payment woes

I'd make the payments myself.  I'd also get a signed promissory note from the FiL in exchange for not taking possession of the car.  Make FiL pay you directly.  That's just me, though. 

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mauve wrote:

I'd make the payments myself.  I'd also get a signed promissory note from the FiL in exchange for not taking possession of the car.  Make FiL pay you directly.  That's just me, though. 

+1

And let dad know that if he doesn't pay you will sue him.  Unless, of course, you just want to pay off the car and consider it a $3k gift.

Message 3 of 4
scrubs
Regular Contributor

are you kidding me.  you going to let  dad to be an au on a secured cc?  dad is hurting your husband credit big time. pay off the car and let dad pay your hushand whatever he can afford if his dad can not or will not honor the agreement the give the balance as a gift with the understanding no more credit help because he is draging his credit thur the mud. also creditor can call your husband co and cause problems at his work.

then i would clean up his credit report and join navy credit union. dont let dad hurt your husband and your credit future.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.