Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card balance :(

tag
27hello
Valued Member

Card balance :(

Well, as of today Capital One reported 9 out of 300 balance.  Great, my score jumped 5 points and now I am just a few shy of 650.

My other card is about to report.  Unfortunately I made a big purchase and left myself a little stuck.  Seeing as the due date was the 15th, I thought the card had already reported - it hasn't yet.  I had a $350 out of $450 balance thanks to my buy.  I just made a quick $150 payment and even paid the $9 fee to have funds available tomorrow - so I'm hoping if they report tomorrow it will be a balance of 200.  This will be about 45% utility.

So I realize this isn't going to help me at all.  My question is, will it hurt?  Not maxed but not ideal, and paid on time.  I know I probably won't see an increase but I'm praying I won't see a decrease either.

Not much to do about it now, but I'm sitting here annoyed about it and thought I'd see if I could find out what to expect in advance.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Sock
Valued Member

Re: Card balance :(

It probably won't hurt horrendously. If you don't have any other changes on your report, then your score may be a few points more than it may have been in the past (though a bit less than it could have been today).

I've found in my own score that yes, balance fluctuations make a small difference in my score month to month, but overall, the longer you keep your cc paid in full, the more points you get each month. So for example, paying your card in full for two months might be worth 15 points, but keeping that card paid off in full for 18-24 months continuously may be worth 60-100 points. If there was one month somewhere in the middle of that that you weren't able to completely pay off, then you may get something like 55-90 points for those 24 months.

Message 2 of 6
signguy17
Frequent Contributor

always leave alittle on the balance...around 5-10% owing on the account.  CRAs only get that snapshot when your card reports.  If you always show a 0 balance the CRAs might think that you aren't even using the card.  The want you to use the card but responsibly and leaving that small amount helps. 

As far as leaving a balance on your card it will increase your utilization.  This will in turn casue your CS to take a hit....usually only 5-10 points.  I have been playing with my score recently.  I left $1350 on my $2500 CL CC on purpose.  My score took a hit of only 6 points.  After it reported and I took the hit I paid it off and left about $20 owing.  When the card reported that my util fell something like 40% my score went up about 35 points.

I stared this journey in Nov '12 at 584 and my score now is 728 so I can afford to play with it.  I have a house.  When my credit improved we bought us a car for our 36th anniversary.  That caused a hit but that quickly not only recovered but raised my score by adding an installment loan.  Just last week I went my bank which turned me down 5 months ago and they gave me not only a CC with a $5000 CL but also a LOC.  And the icing on the cake is the CC is 0% for the first 12 months.  I have never qualified for one of those deals!

Good luck on you r journey but sometimes it seems to help to shake it up and leave a larger amount and take the hit for a greater reward later!  Hope this helps!

Starting Score:
11/11/12 BEGIN REBUILD myFICO 584

11/11/13 ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY!! myFICO 705
Message 3 of 6
27hello
Valued Member

thank you both for replying.

It is so hard to look at long term.  Haha!  I just want to see improvement NOW.  I was really excited when I saw I was so close to 650.  And immediately "oh crap" when I saw only one card reported, and it wasn't the one I just used.

I hope I only lose a couple points.  I only got a boost of 5, so I certainly hope I don't lose more than that.  I just paid off both cards earlier this month, just used the one last night.  Whoops.

I'm due for about 9 accounts with negative remarks to fall off every few months over the next year (bankrupcty 07) - including a repo - so these are exciting times.  Signguy, I am hoping to see a climb like yours!  That is amazing.

Message 4 of 6
27hello
Valued Member

Just wanted to update, I must have cut it too close.  Credit One just reported today, but they did not report my current balance.  They reported my balance as of several days ago, 350/450.  My score just tanked to 626... ugh.  I'm pretty annoyed after paying the $9 fee to have the payment post immediately, all for nothing.

I hope I'll be back at 647 or better next month Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 6
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@signguy17 wrote:

always leave alittle on the balance...around 5-10% owing on the account.  CRAs only get that snapshot when your card reports.  If you always show a 0 balance the CRAs might think that you aren't even using the card.  The want you to use the card but responsibly and leaving that small amount helps. 

As far as leaving a balance on your card it will increase your utilization.  This will in turn casue your CS to take a hit....usually only 5-10 points.  I have been playing with my score recently.  I left $1350 on my $2500 CL CC on purpose.  My score took a hit of only 6 points.  After it reported and I took the hit I paid it off and left about $20 owing.  When the card reported that my util fell something like 40% my score went up about 35 points.

I stared this journey in Nov '12 at 584 and my score now is 728 so I can afford to play with it.  I have a house.  When my credit improved we bought us a car for our 36th anniversary.  That caused a hit but that quickly not only recovered but raised my score by adding an installment loan.  Just last week I went my bank which turned me down 5 months ago and they gave me not only a CC with a $5000 CL but also a LOC.  And the icing on the cake is the CC is 0% for the first 12 months.  I have never qualified for one of those deals!

Good luck on you r journey but sometimes it seems to help to shake it up and leave a larger amount and take the hit for a greater reward later!  Hope this helps!

I think you meant FICO see's it as a snapshot Smiley Wink Fico does not like seeing cards at a $0 util every month. It shows them the cards are not being used. Rule of thumb if you have multiple cards, keep all but one at $0 util and the one between 1-9 % util. You can play around with the % for a few months to see where your sweet spot is at for maxnium scoring. Once you know where it's at then you can start rotating those cards. 

Community Leader, 

DaBears Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.