cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog Credit Accounts Such as Fingerhut (For building credit without hard pulls) Any suggestions)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Catalog Credit Accounts Such as Fingerhut (For building credit without hard pulls) Any suggestio

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks you guys I will; I got the freshstart I was planning on buying something for 50$ paying the 30$ down payment only oweing 20$ and paying the 20$ off after the first statment cuts would that work? My scores are non exsistant at this point I've just turned 18 and I am starting from the 0 you begin with when youve had no open accounts ever. So at this point I think secured or catalog cards are the only things I can get sadly.

Depdepdep11,

Good for you taking these positive steps at your age when so many don't (or didn't). Your credit is one of the most important things you have to treat well or screw up so stay on track and stay here learning even better practices as you watch it grow.

I'm quite a bit older and screwed mine up in the crash of '08 and thankfully most of that stuff has or will fall off soon but it is a horrible feeling to know that your credit sucks so do your best with it and treat it with care.

I got the Overstock.com credit with a SP approval and an HP once I filled out the full app.You will ultimately have the HP's when you fully apply for any credit and at this point takeshi74 is right, DON'T WORRY ABOUT THEM! They can't drag you down any farther than no score but don't go app crazy either. Keep doing your research here and app wisely only choosing the ones you are likely to get. Also consider your income and what you can afford. With most accts requiring some sort of flow on a regular basis it's all too easy to get caught up in hitting the "BUY" button when you think "I can just put this on the acct and pay a little at a time". I've seen your posts before so I'm sure you are aware of how much your UTI impacts your score mnth to mnth so be careful.

Here is the Link to a post I put up yesterday morning explaining my brief history with them.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Comenity-Overstock-CLI/m-p/4429276

Welcome to the grown up world!!!

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Catalog Credit Accounts Such as Fingerhut (For building credit without hard pulls) Any suggestio

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks you guys I will; I got the freshstart I was planning on buying something for 50$ paying the 30$ down payment only oweing 20$ and paying the 20$ off after the first statment cuts would that work? My scores are non exsistant at this point I've just turned 18 and I am starting from the 0 you begin with when youve had no open accounts ever. So at this point I think secured or catalog cards are the only things I can get sadly.

Is there a local credit union in the area you may qualify for? They will often issue secured credit cards. SDFCU would be nother good option for a secured card. "Real" credit cards are much better than store cards or catalog cards for building.

You would also be well advised to get a small secured loan, along with a couple of credit cards. 

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for your help and advice; I absolutely love the community here everyone is so freindly and helpful! I have applied for SDFCU and Justice Federal Credit Union; I am waiting to see if they will approve me or decline me; Im hoping I get to join them since I paid the 15$ for the lifeitme memebership to the ACC and 20$ to join the NSA. I so far have this fingerhut freshstart and Discover It secured along with Cap1 secured

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I graduated the fresh start a couple of weeks ago, opened in November. Just updated my Experian report and the new regular Fingerhut is reporting as opened 1/1. Only 200 right now but it's a start. The fresh start is closed but will report for 10 years.
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.