Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cavalry Illegally Re-Aged Debt

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cavalry Illegally Re-Aged Debt

I have two CC collections being reported by Cavalry. 

They are both Citibank cards. I do not agree that I owe these debts.

If they are attached to old citibank cards that I had in the past, then I believe the debts are obsolete. My credit report shows I last made a payment (or the credit cards were closed) in 2008 and 2009. I no longer have statements for these cards and they are so old that they just report as "$0" with no derogatory info.

Cavalry tried to sue me then dropped the suit when I didn't respond.

Then they reaged the debt to 2016 and reported that I made a small payment on each of the accounts! I never did such a thing.

What can I do to force them to remove these collections from my report? I would be happy to bully and harass them right back, as they have done to me. I want them gone. I am prepared to sue them, as they are screwing up my life with their illegal and unethical behaviors.

2 REPLIES 2
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Re: Cavalry Illegally Re-Aged Debt

File a CFPB complaint.

Consult an attorney as wel.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Cavalry Illegally Re-Aged Debt

Collections, regardless of whether paid or unpaid, have a date-certaqin exclusion date of no later than 7 years plus 180 dqayws from the DOFD.  The date of any last payment is immaterial to credit report exclusion, and does not re-age the exclusion date of a reported collection.

The debt collector is required to separately report the DOFD to the CRA no later than 90 days qfter reporting their collection.  FCRA 623(a)5).

The CRA then uses that date, and thqt date alone, to determine when they exclude the collection from credit reports they issue.

The debt collector does not "report" exclusion of the collection.  It is done solely by the CRA based on theri tracing of time since the reported DOFD.

You can force exclusion of the collection by obtaining the DOFD that is of record in your credit file.

If it does not accurately reflect the date that you first became delinquent on the debt with the creditor, and thereafter remainded delinquent up to the time of referral for collection, you can dispute the accurqcy of the reported DOFD.

If the DOFD is accurate and more than 7 years plus 180 days has expired, then the CRA is in violation of the exclusion requirment of FCRA 605(c), and your dispute is with the CRA lack of compliance.

In summary, you must first know the reported DOFD before contesting the exclusion date or reaging of the credit report exclusion period.

What is the reported DOFD?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.