Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Certificate of mailing?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Certificate of mailing?

If I write a letter and want to send it certicate of mailing obviously, I know that I need to pay a fee at the post office for certified mail. BUT, does my letter have to state certificate of mailing ??? I'm confused? What exactly does my letter have to contain before I put it in the envelope?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
acrylic51
Regular Contributor

Re: Certificate of mailing?

What type of letter are you wanting to send? Who are you sending it to? I send all corresponded certified mail with return receipt regardless.

Starting Score: 7/12 545 EX (PSECU)
Current Score: 689 EX (PSECU) / EQ 697 / TU 703
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There are different types of certification of mailing.

There is a type of certification that does not even involve the Postal Service.  Many government agencies accept a certification upon the document itself that it was deposited with the U.S. Postal Service as prima facie evidence of mailing on the date stated.  However, that is not sufficient in the world of FCRA proofs.

You can just register with the Postal Service that it was sent.  No proof of receipt.  Many sections of the FCRA only stipulate that the consumer send response by a certain date, and dont require proof of actual receipt as having complied with the statute.

Or you can send it certified mail, return receipt requested.  CMRRR documents require the signature of the adressee as proof of their actual receipt.

They are the best and most solid evidence both of sending and receiving, and are recommended when the consumer wishes to avoid he-said, she-said disputes over whether a response was actually sent. 

Very few sections of the FCRA or FDCPA require establishing the date of a consumer communication, but disputes and DVs are the obvious exception, as they establish statutory dates for the addressee to then do something.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks because  I was searching on the internet and they said sometimes just certified is enough. Beacuse something stated that the paper could have been a happy birthday card... i guess they said that the affadivit of mailing or something. I sent a few before with certificate of mail so I guess this is good

Message 4 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I would just send it CMRRR and be done with it.  That way you have made sure.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.