cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Challenged some items on my record report and Transunion ends up lowering my score drastically!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Challenged some items on my record report and Transunion ends up lowering my score drastically!

I took out three law school loans which I defaulted on, but have since paid in full.  My credit report reported each of these loans twice;hence I had six records on my report for three loans.  I contacted Transunion to see if I could have three of the six removed since in my mind, the items were reported twice.  Transunion investigated and determined that all six should remain....Transunion then lowered my score by nearly 100 points.  I've contacted the original loan provider to see if they could help but I don't know what else to do. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
GRILLMASTERNEEDAHOUSE
New Contributor

Re: Challenged some items on my record report and Transunion ends up lowering my score drastically!

I just sent off challenges to all three CRAs. I don't owe any balances on the things I disputed as well. I hope I don't suffer the same fate...100pts??? I'll die. I am curious if if fact the three loans that are reporting twice is because the OC and CA are reporting the same loan that was once in default?? 
Grill Master now has a house! Closed 8/26. Yay!
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Challenged some items on my record report and Transunion ends up lowering my score drastically!

Not sure why your score would go down if they were reporting the same way before and after the dispute?  Something else going on??  Maybe some of the loans were not showing the default, and then they updated and that's why the score went down?

You might ask a mod to move this over to the student loan section.

But nothing about this reporting seems odd to me.  Very often student loans count as separate loans for each semester, depending on the lender.  So if you took out the full $10k unsubsidized Stafford loan for an academic year, it could show up as two $5k loans, one for each semester.

You're probably in the position of just needing to wait this one out.  You could try GW letters--but I can tell you that SallieMae doesn't budge, and in my experience, Access Group does not budge either.  Good luck!

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is a case of the collections agency and original loan grantor reporting the same loans and both are reporting the loans as "charge offs".  I can understand why the original loan provider would report them as such, but not the collection agencies.  I was paying the collection agency $300 a month for three years.  Then in 2008 I told them I felt I could have the entire balance paid off within six months.  The collection agency then started demanding that I settle with them for less than the loan balance and threatened that if I didn't settle with them, that they were going to refer it back to the original loan provider.  I ended up calling the original loan provider and we set up payments at $1000 a month (with the option of me paying more) and the amount was paid off three months later (I paid about 12k in three months).  The collections agency wanted me to settle with them and became threatening when I kept reiterating that I wanted to pay off the balance.  I think that my dispute with the collections agency may be having an impact now...I don't know.   These were not loans divided by semesters.  They were three individual loans.   
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm still not clear on the difference in reporting before the dispute and after the dispute.

But the situation you describe is also typical.  Paid medical collections are the only kind of collection that cannot report after they are paid.  The OC and the CA can both report each of the COs (even after payment), and if they had gotten a judgment against you, then that would report too.

When people talk about duplicates on these boards, they are talking the same OC reporting the same TL twice.  Or the same CA reporting the same account twice.  The OC and the CA reporting the same loan, once each, is not a duplicate.

The CA should be reporting that the accounts are paid and closed (the OC too).  So make sure they're doing that, and that they aren't reporting any activity after the date that you paid off the accounts with the OC.  The dip in points may be that your dispute caused the accounts to update with recent activity.  That would be incorrect since they were paid and closed some time ago . . .

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.