Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chances I "win" a dispute?

tag
jgbishop
Valued Member

Chances I "win" a dispute?

I have one late payment (30 day) on my transuion and equifax reports. This happened while I was in college on a credit card 2 years ago. I think the payment was late but not 30+ days but I didn't keep any documentation from the time (I know.. that lecture isn't required). I closed the account after paying off the balance the next month. Point of the story, I filed dispute through the CRA. I called the bank before filing dispute to ask for a goodwill adjustment but was told they couldnt do it. They didn't even have the account on file but the system could have been updated and the data stored in a different database.

My question is this: would a bank even waste the time of trying to verify the 30 day late payment on an account that has been closed 2 years? I think the entry is innaccurate but have no way to back it up. Its already on my report so it can't hurt trying to get it removed. What are the chances they don't respond in the 30 day window and the entry is removed?

If the item is verified, I am going to keep pestering them for a goodwill adjustment.

Starting Score: TU (myFICO) , EQ (myFICO) 620 , EX (PlusScore) 661 [1/1/13]
Current Score:font> TU (myFICO) 678 , EQ (myFICO) 660 , EX (PlusScore) 706 [6/11/13]
Goal Score: 750+ All Three

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
jgbishop
Valued Member

Re: Chances I "win" a dispute?

I promise this will be my only bump of this thread. Anybody have a thought or care to share a similar story? I'm really hoping I am able to get my only baddie removed

Current Score:font> TU (myFICO) 678 , EQ (myFICO) 660 , EX (PlusScore) 706 [6/11/13]

Message 2 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

When you dispute with the CRAs your dispute ends up a 2 letter code that is sent to the creditor via electronic means.  No paperwork involved, no phone calls etc.  When the creditor gets those codes if anything matches on their end, it will be validated.  e-Oscar leaves a lot to be desired.

That is why you don't dispute with the CRAs but rather send a direct dispute to the furnisher of the information.

Your chances are 50/50.

Message 3 of 9
jgbishop
Valued Member

I didn't open a dispute with the issuing bank yet in hopes that the GW letter will get it done. My plan is to go through the CRA and if that doesn't work the try a couple more GW letters because I would like to maintain a good relationship with the company. I called and was trying to ask for one but was told several times they can't GW adjust but I can dispute. It was so emphatic to dispute from them that it was almost one of those "I can't tell you that you should but you should" kind of things. Should I just try disputing with the creditor directly after the CRA instead of GW adjustments?

Message 4 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

You could but if your dispute can't be proven on your end, meaning if you already disputed with the CRA and it comes back verified, unless you have documentation supporting the dispute, the creditor can say it is frivolous.

If you disputed with the CRAs, that is in essence, opening it with the creditor.  And vice versa.  A creditor has to let the CRAs know you disputed an account.

I have seen on numerous occasions where a creditor has told someone to dispute the TL, not coming right out and saying they wouldn't verify it but the meaning was clear.  If you truly believe the 30 day late is inaccurate then you have a legitimate dispute.  Either through the CRA or the creditor.

But wait until the CRA dispute is resolved.

Message 5 of 9
jgbishop
Valued Member

Another question: does checking the status of an online dipsute via the provided link extend the investigation window to 45 days? I have read where contacting the CRA during an offline investigation allows this so I'm afraid that it might be no different online. Correct or no?

Message 6 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

No, just checking the status won't extend it.  Only if you submit more evidence.

If you used your annualcreditreport.com report they automatically have 45 days.  Not to say it wouldn't be done sooner.

Message 7 of 9
jgbishop
Valued Member

Guiness, sorry to keep asking stuff but I really appreciate your answers. Since I did the online dispute, is it a decent sign that it wasn't instantly verified if they did it electronically or is it normal for it to take some time?

Message 8 of 9
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@jgbishop wrote:
Guiness, sorry to keep asking stuff but I really appreciate your answers. Since I did the online dispute, is it a decent sign that it wasn't instantly verified if they did it electronically or is it normal for it to take some time?

It is normal to take some time..

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.