Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chances of an Adverse Action???

tag
EW800
Valued Contributor

Re: Chances of an Adverse Action???

This still sounds very odd.  I have made large payments numerous times, often times right out of the blue when I went to pay something down of off, and have never had the account froze.  Are you sure there is not something more to this??

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 11 of 31
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@tiffjtiffj wrote:

@pip3man wrote:

And just like I anticipated, CAP 1 actually froze/suspended my account. I have no idea why they would do that cos they already took the money out of my checking account. What do I do now?! Just wish I didn't make that large payment, I f***d everything up for myself now Smiley Sad

Did you give them a call? I find it strange that they suspended your account due to a large lump payment. Maybe is a clearing hold.

Really. Talk to them.

I commonly make regular payments of 2 or 3x the minimum. But many times I've made big payments like yours after selling my house or getting unexpected money. I've never had a CLD or any AA from that at all. It seems that when people do get CLDs after making a huge payment it's usually because they're carrying a lot of debt, they've got maxed-out cards, or they've done something else to cause worry. In those cases, the ccc has usually been itching to do a CLD all along. If that's not the case with you, then this is probably just a glitch. Call. Definitely.

EDIT : I see you already did call. Still sounds like a glitch. Not unusual for banks to verify big payments. Probably nothing to worry about.

Message 12 of 31
tiffjtiffj
Contributor

@EW800 wrote:

This still sounds very odd.  I have made large payments numerous times, often times right out of the blue when I went to pay something down of off, and have never had the account froze.  Are you sure there is not something more to this??

+1 

I still can't wrap my head around it. Even if I only charged $300 for months and then purchased a $2000 computer, I don't understand why paying my bill would prompt the account hold.

Current EQ 634 TU08 670 EX 627
Garden: Take #25 (2017 - ouch)
2017 Goals: Citi Premier
Message 13 of 31
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@tiffjtiffj wrote:

@EW800 wrote:

+1 

I still can't wrap my head around it. Even if I only charged $300 for months and then purchased a $2000 computer, I don't understand why paying my bill would prompt the account hold.

People have reported temp holds after extra large payments many times. It may not make sense, but I don't think it's necessarily uncommon or a big deal.

Message 14 of 31
pip3man
Valued Contributor

I really have no idea but far as I know this is my first largest single payment on this account but then again could it be because I also requested a CLI online this morning. The rep never mentioned that though but she said it's something they do randomly. But in my head isn't it obvious it isn't coincidental being that I made this payment then they turn out to freeze/hold/suspend the account. This has never ever happened before so how come it's gonna be this time around. Btw I made this payment I think on Friday/Saturday. I'm just gonna sit back and watch how this plays out, this folks are trying to play a fast shady one on me

Message 15 of 31
pip3man
Valued Contributor

Gunnar419 yeah the card was maxed out and well over the limit

Message 16 of 31
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@pip3man wrote:

Oh, sorry to hear that. OTOH, from what the CSR told you, this still sounds like it could just be one of those strange, but familiar, payment holds.

I'll be rooting for you to come out of this with no problems.

Message 17 of 31
kjel
Established Contributor

@pip3man wrote:

I really have no idea but far as I know this is my first largest single payment on this account but then again could it be because I also requested a CLI online this morning. The rep never mentioned that though but she said it's something they do randomly. But in my head isn't it obvious it isn't coincidental being that I made this payment then they turn out to freeze/hold/suspend the account. This has never ever happened before so how come it's gonna be this time around. Btw I made this payment I think on Friday/Saturday. I'm just gonna sit back and watch how this plays out, this folks are trying to play a fast shady one on me

FWIW a couple years ago I had my Cap1 card nearly maxed out and paid the $1000 from my tax refund. It went through a 2-3 day hold while the payment cleared. No long term adverse action and a few months of gardening the card I got a CLI.

I don't think they are being shady, put yourself in their position. Normal state of your card is high balance and low payments. All of a sudden you make a very large payment and ask for a CLI. I am sure the combination and timing of the two flagged something in their system. Give it a few days, see what happens.

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 18 of 31
pip3man
Valued Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@pip3man wrote:

Oh, sorry to hear that. OTOH, from what the CSR told you, this still sounds like it could just be one of those strange, but familiar, payment holds.

I'll be rooting for you to come out of this with no problems.

yeah I really hope it is and nothing serious but thanks I appreciate... This notation is showing up on my account "C1HOLD003 CAPONE OTB HOLD TRANSACTION CONDUCTED ON TUESDAY APRIL 22, 2014." I don't know what OTB means but I'm not gonna think too much bout it cos the more I do, the more pissed I get. I'll keep the thread updated if anything changes....  And Thanks to everyone else for ya inputs

Message 19 of 31
EW800
Valued Contributor

From a couple of searches I just did, it appears that an OTB Hold is an "Open to Buy Hold", basically meaning a temporary hold on being able to purchase while things clear.    

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.