cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chances of being sued 8 months after default

tag
NintendoFan

Chances of being sued 8 months after default

I'm new here and need a bit of advice. I defaulted on a few credit cards (department store, $1000 and less). Last payment was May 2013. I'll be getting the money to settle these accounts probably the middle of January 2014. A couple of the cards are with GE capital/amazon, one for about $1000 as of today (includes late fees), and the other is GE capital/ Walmart for about $700. I have another is a Bloomingdales for about the same amount as the amazon card. The other cards are pretty small, under $500. So I have a little over 4 months until I'll have the money to pay these accounts. My question is, how long do creditors/collection agencies usually hold on to these size debts before they sue? I'm really hoping that I can go 4 months without a lawsuit.

Thanks for any help Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Re: Chances of being sued 8 months after default

I wouldnt have an answer to your question but have you tried contacting the creditors about your situation? There might be something they can do for your situation that can even perhaps save your accounts or keep them open. Im sure others will chime in...gl tho op!

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 2 of 9
CAnNY
Frequent Contributor

Anything below $1000 from what I understand is very unlikely to result in a law suit. How long they hang on to the accounts I have no idea.

Starting Score: TU 489 EQ 561 EX unknown (2/24/2013)
Current Score: Lender Pull (11/15/13) EQ 702, TU 679, EX 684
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 9
mxp114
Valued Contributor

You're probably safe because of the amount and the fact you only need a few months but why don't you call them to avoid action? You don't want them to charge off, sell the accounts, etc. Best to speak with them, so the accounts remain with the original creditors. That's what most will recommend. Call them asap!!

Message 4 of 9
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

OP, you'll get more replies in "rebuilding." Are you recently late? If not, how long ago were your last payments?
Message 5 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum. I have requested that your post be moved to our Rebuilding Forum. I'm sure you'll receive excellent advice over there. Good luck!
Message 6 of 9
NintendoFan

Thanks for your help, everyone! I know that one of the accounts (1000 amazon store card account) is with NCO Financial. Should I call amazon or NCO to work out a payment plan? The account is $200 past due, so I will try to pay it, but I'm just not sure who to contact. Thanks again Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Generally the smaller the amount the less likelihood there is of being sued. However it's not a certainty.

Also what is the statute of limitations for your state?.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 8 of 9
NintendoFan

Thanks for your reply. I live in Georgia, so the statute of limitations on credit card debt is 6 years here.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.