cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chances of getting credit union credit card?

tag

Chances of getting credit union credit card?

I've been quite frustrated in my rebuilding process. Namely, getting rejected for credit cards over and over again, taking the inquiry with no card to show for it.

Much to my excitement, I finally found a credit union in my area willing to take me as a member. They offer a credit card with a 9.25% interest rate. What are my chances of getting approved with a bankruptcy two years ago and my current credit scores? I haven't checked my actual FICOs since February, but I'm guessing they're somewhere in the high 600s, after the credit cleanup I did awhile back. I disputed a ton of stuff on my Experian report and got a lot of it removed and saw a boost...but I'm not sure how much good it's done.

Anyway, should I try for the card, or not bother because it will just be another hard inquiry+no card?

Discover IT $2000 CL | Amex BCE $500 CL
Wishlist: Citi Double Cash, Chase Sapphire Preferred, BOA BankAmericard Travel Rewards, Wells Fargo Platinum
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Re: Chances of getting credit union credit card?

I am generally not one to answer questions such as this as I am not an underwriter and I do not know your entire credit history. With that being said, I do believe that you will have the best chance at acquiring a credit card through a credit union. Your scores are really not too bad and many people have been able to get credit with scores like that. 

The BK is definitely holding you back but if the CU took you as a member, I would say you have a decent chance at being approved for a credit card. If you are denied, recon. 

Message 2 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

There is no way to tell you if they will accept you or not. You can try searching the credit pulls database and who gave me credit to see what scores people were approved at and what some of the negatives they had were. Personally I would just see the credit officer and ask outright, you might even bring a copy of your CR with you. There are so many variables and underwriting is different at every institution.

Message 3 of 7
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

When I got my Ch 13 discharge in May 2013 I asked my credit union BECU for a card... they told me they could give me a $500 secured card which I declined.  They also told me to get a card with someone like Cap One and use it for 6 months... then come back and they would match it.

So I got a $1000 Cap One Plat and came back in December.  BECU did more than match it, they gave me a $7k Visa at 10.9%.  Then in March they refinanced my car at 3.99%.

My scores were 650ish when I got the CC and 660 when I got the auto loan.

I'll never go back to a bank.  

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 4 of 7
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

My recommendation is to put a plan of action together and then follow the plan. Stop the guessing. Rebuilding one's credit profile is not hard but it does take time and specific actions. I am only one year past a ch7 discharge and life is pretty good right now for me. I am in the process for buying a home with hopefully an FHA loan under the Back To Work program. I'm recommending to you exactly what I did. There is a very specific plan on this forum...significantly documented ... that you can follow ... if you don't want to create one of your own.

Message 5 of 7
meehan22
Frequent Contributor

how many INQ have you taken lately and how new are your current cards? 

I'd pull your credit being apping for ANYTHING else. MOST CU's are very giving as long as the report is paid in full with no open collections, jdmts, liens. is there anything left?

Wallet: Chase $6,000 - Discover $1,500 - Walmart $2,200 - Voyage FCU $1,300 - Zales $2,300 - Elan Fin: $12,500(AU, reporting) - Chase $8,500 (AU, reporting) 1% UTL
Message 6 of 7

LOTS of inqs, unfortunately. I've lost count. All declined. I know this is going to hurt me a lot, but I thought I might have a shot since I'm a member of the credit union.

I might wait until I join the 700 club--hopefully sometime late this year--and try apping for my CU's card at that point. Oddly, I did get approved for a $3000 line of credit from Sleepy's. 

I unfortunately for various reasons had to run up a balance on one of my cards and I know that's going to hurt too. Maybe I should wait until my score goes up and my balances on my cards go down. urgh.

Discover IT $2000 CL | Amex BCE $500 CL
Wishlist: Citi Double Cash, Chase Sapphire Preferred, BOA BankAmericard Travel Rewards, Wells Fargo Platinum
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.