cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change my points if false collection dropped?

tag
odieatla

Change my points if false collection dropped?

This is my first post and hope I'm doing it right.

There is a collection on my credit history for over 9 months and I just realized about it right now.

It was because I had a Comcast service and cancelled it the second day. They were not supposed to charge anything and I confirmed with them when I returned all the equipment. However I received a phone call from a credit collector today and then I checked with Comcast, who now claimed now I owe them 42 dollars. Then I asked them to look into it and they told me it was a mistake. They said they would correct it and delete this error item from my credit history.

My question is, can they actually do that? If they can, my credit will be as good as the collection never showed up in my history? If they can't, what should I do?

I have been building my credit for years, and am planning to buy my first home for my family. I don't want something which is not my fault to affect my APR. Smiley Sad

Thanks in advance for all the help you guys can provide!

Bests,

Oz

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Change my points if false collection dropped?

@odieatla wrote:

This is my first post and hope I'm doing it right.

There is a collection on my credit history for over 9 months and I just realized about it right now.

It was because I had a Comcast service and cancelled it the second day. They were not supposed to charge anything and I confirmed with them when I returned all the equipment. However I received a phone call from a credit collector today and then I checked with Comcast, who now claimed now I owe them 42 dollars. Then I asked them to look into it and they told me it was a mistake. They said they would correct it and delete this error item from my credit history.

My question is, can they actually do that? If they can, my credit will be as good as the collection never showed up in my history? If they can't, what should I do?

I have been building my credit for years, and am planning to buy my first home for my family. I don't want something which is not my fault to affect my APR. Smiley Sad

Thanks in advance for all the help you guys can provide!

Bests,

Oz

Yes, If it was their fault they can remove the TL. If the CA=Collection Agency is listed as well. Get a letter from Comcast stating it was referred in error to them and they will need to delete their TL as well.

Message 2 of 5
odieatla

DaBears wrote:

Yes, If it was their fault they can remove the TL. If the CA=Collection Agency is listed as well. Get a letter from Comcast stating it was referred in error to them and they will need to delete their TL as well.

Thanks a lot DaBears! Just one more question: here is the entry looks like in my report,

The collection agency "682YC05551" was hired to collect a debt of $42 originally owed to "Comcast West" on account number "XXXXXXXX".

So the CA is actually the one put the collection my record? Does it mean this CA is the only one drop it? Thanks again!

Message 3 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If the OC isn't reporting there isn't any thing to be deleted.  If they are and it was an error, both the OC and the CA will be removed.

Message 4 of 5
odieatla

@guiness56 wrote:

If the OC isn't reporting there isn't any thing to be deleted.  If they are and it was an error, both the OC and the CA will be removed.

Thanks guiness56!

So you mean both CA and OC have to report to the credit bureaus? The OC said they will correct this but at the time I talked to them, I thought that was enough.

In common cenario, will OC tell CA to report to the bureaus? Or I have to write to the CA?

Thanks a lot!!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.