Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing status of old charge-off account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Changing status of old charge-off account

I just checked my credit report since I am looking to purchase a home.  I noticed that I have one account (DFS/Webbank) that is listed as past due $14, and the status is bad/debt collection on the power report, however no accounts show up under collection or public record.  Here is the summary from the experian report:

Status:  Account charged off. $16 written off. $14 past due as of Apr 2011.

Status Details:  This account is scheduled to continue on record until Mar 2014.

Date Opened:
04/2005
Reported Since:
04/2005
Date of Status:
10/2007
Last Reported:
04/2011
Type:
Charge Card
Terms:
NA
Monthly Payment:
$0
Responsibility:
Individual

Credit Limit/Original Amount:
$5,000
High Balance:
$1,113
Recent Balance:
$16 as of 04/2011
Recent Payment:
$0

The account started to become delinquent on 6/2007, and was reported as CO starting on 10/2007, and has been reported as CO or NR up until 4/2011.  I would appreciate advice on what I can do about this, as it is an old account.  Should I try to reach out to DFS to see if they still own the debt, and try to get a PFD if I pay the $16?  Is there any other action I should take like trying to dispute it with experian?  I have no desire to keep this account, but ideally I would like to get this resolved, and removed from my report.  I realize it says this account should be removed next year, but I would like to try to improve my score in the shorter term.   Any advice is greatly appreciated.  

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Changing status of old charge-off account

Hard to give specific advice, as a lot depends on your credit plans within the next year, and your reliance on ultimate CR exclusion to prevent others from becoming aware of the bad debt.

Apparently you plan to app for new credit soon, and thus the desire for earlier deletion of the CO.

My advice, above all, and regardless of any FICO or credit report exclusion issues, is to pay the debt.

It is so small as to almost be trivial, and its potential future impact, even after credit report exclusion, might be substantial

Credit report exclusion does not delete the debt, so until satisfied, you will always have unpaid, delinquent debt, which can become a show-stopper in any future quest for credit.  Potential creditors could become aware of its presence by means other than a simple pull of your CR, so CR exclusion does not ensure that others will never become aware of it.  In my opinion, it's not worth the chance of reliance only on CR exclusion as preventing others from becoming aware of the bad debt.

Since the OC is still reporting a balance, I will assume they still own the debt, and thus could still take payment.

If earlier CR deletion is a requirement, then offer them payment in exchange for deletion of the negative account history.  I presume that monthly delinquencies were also reported in addition to the CO, so I would request deletion of all negative reporting.  That is the best of all outcomes, as the account would then show as positive, and its age would be retained in your average age of accounts calculation.

My suspicion is that they wont jump on a PFD offer, as the amount is low, and they will have a bunch of re-accounting to do upon accepting payment, such as moving the prior debt back into their receivable/received assets column, and removing their prior writeoff of the bad debt, thus requiring an update in their next tax filing.  Most likely more time and expense on their part to accept payment than the small amount they will receive.  But give it a go.

If they dont accept a PFD, I would still pay in full. 

Message 2 of 3
ABuckNow
Contributor

Re: Changing status of old charge-off account

I don't have an answer for you, but I have a very similar situation to yours that I posted about a couple of days ago.

I got a very wide variety answers - I posted it in the wrong forums I think, which may have led to the lack of consensus on what to do.

Anyhow, here is the link, hope it helps...please follow-up, this thread or PM, on what you decide...best of luck!

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Help-32-left-on-a-4-5yr-old-CC-charge-off/td-p/1928401

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.