Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the report date?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Changing the report date?

My question is. Can a collection agency change the date reported. I've been trying to settle an old account in 03 and noticed they have changed the date reported from 11/04 to 7/08. Is this legal?

Thanks

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Changing the report date?

Not illegal.  That is only the date the CA reported information to the CRA.
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

wouldn't that be the dola date? I was thinking the report date was where the 7 years of bad luck begun. I don't know that why i'm asking.

thanks

Message 3 of 14
ralbusta
Frequent Contributor

7 years goes from the DOFD. (date of first delinquency). DOLA may affect SOL depending on your state laws. As said above the report date is the date they updated info to the CRA.
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

What does date reported affect, anything? The DOFD was 4/2003. I'm in SC and sol says its 3 years, I'm going back to check that.

Thanks

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dang its 10 years on written contracts....
Message 6 of 14
wilee
Contributor

I don't think the date reported matters much. If it remains on your credit report beyond 7 years then you can dispute it. If you make a payment, I'm pretty sure it'll reset the 7 year counter.

It doesn't matter if the account doesn't report until 5 years after the default, it would still need to be removed 7 years after DOFD, not 7 years after it was reported.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

well the thing is I tried to settle with the ca (Certified Recovery Services Inc.) because as was the case in 03 I disputed all the bull they were trying to charge me for. It must it be some kind of personal thing with CRS because they won't budge. I didn't ask for it to be deleted, just tried to settle. Would it help to try and contact the orginal creditor and make the same offer, after all CRS hasn't gotten them a dime in 5 years. 
Message 8 of 14
fused
Moderator Emeritus

skinsfan44 wrote:
Dang its 10 years on written contracts....

Welcome to the forums!

What did you default on? A credit card, loan, etc.?

Message 9 of 14
ralbusta
Frequent Contributor

@wilee wrote:

I don't think the date reported matters much. If it remains on your credit report beyond 7 years then you can dispute it. If you make a payment, I'm pretty sure it'll reset the 7 year counter.

It doesn't matter if the account doesn't report until 5 years after the default, it would still need to be removed 7 years after DOFD, not 7 years after it was reported.

Right and wrong. Making a payment doesn't reset the 7 year counter, it runs from the DOFD. Yes, it will need to be removed 7 years from DOFD regardless of when it is first reported.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.