Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chapter 7 Discharged in 2003, Creditor still reporting

tag
themanwhosoldtheworld
Valued Member

Chapter 7 Discharged in 2003, Creditor still reporting

Hey everyone.  I am new here but have been lurking for awhile.  As the title says I filed for chapter 7 bankruptcy and it was discharged in 2003.  I just checked my credit report for the first time in years and I see that there is a credit union on there that I had a line of credit for $400 with that was included with the bankruptcy and they are still reporting. 

Here is pretty much what it says:

Date Opened:05/10/2002 

Date Reported:05/31/2013 

Date Major Delinquency First Reported:05/2013 

Date of First Delinquency:07/2012 

And then towards the bottom it says:

Comments:Bankruptcy chapter 7,
Bankruptcy discharged  

What in the world do I do with this?  This is a local Federal Credit Union here in town.  Do I walk into the branch and ask to talk to someone?  Call them?  I am just not sure where to start and thought that maybe someone here may have some idea.

Thanks for any help!

Starting Score: EQ: 695 (MyFico)
Current Score: EQ 729(MyFico 05/07/14), EXP 724 05/08/2014, 744 Card Acquisition Risk Score 09/09/13 (Chase Pulled)
Goal Score: 800
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Chapter 7 Discharged in 2003, Creditor still reporting

Was the account in default when it was included in the BK?

If it was, it should have come off with its own DoFD.

Something isn't right but I would ask the BK attorney if he/she is still around.

Message 2 of 10
themanwhosoldtheworld
Valued Member

Thanks for the reply.  It was in default when I filed as I was advised to stop paying all bills.  I did try to find the lawyer I used but I cannot find him in the phone book.  Do you think there is anything that the bank itself could do?  I wouldn't imagine that they would be too helpful to someone that they think owes them money.   I just want this gone from my report.

Current Score: EQ 729(MyFico 05/07/14), EXP 724 05/08/2014, 744 Card Acquisition Risk Score 09/09/13 (Chase Pulled)
Message 3 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Do you still have all your documentation showing it was IIB?

You can always file a direct dispute with the OC and include all the documentation you can to back up your dispute.

Message 4 of 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

So it was defaulted on in 2003?  Seems like some major reaging going on here. You can direct dispute with them.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 10
themanwhosoldtheworld
Valued Member

I do still have all the documentation.   Do you think it would be best to just go there?  Not sure who I would even start with.

Edit:  Yes it was discharged in 2003.

My Fico score is 685 and this is pretty much the only thing holding my scores back now.

Here is what Transunion says:

Date Opened:
05/10/2002
Responsibility:
Individual Account
Account Type:
Line of Credit Account
Loan Type:
LINE OF CREDIT
Balance:
$0
Date Updated:
05/31/2013
High Balance:
$440
Pay Status:
>Account Included in Bankruptcy<
Date Closed:
01/31/2012
Remarks: 
>CHAPTER 7 BANKRUPTCY<
Estimated month and year that this item will be removed: 
04/2018
Message 6 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

You could go there but it would be unofficial so to speak.  With a direct dispute they have to respond to you within 30 days and tell you what they find.  They would say it is accurate or delete it.  If they say it is accurate they will have some explaining to do.  They could very well be in contempt of violating the BK discharge and be in a lot of trouble.

The TL should have been closed and showed 0 balance as of the filing date of the BK.

Here is the direct dispute template:

This is a Notice of Direct Dispute with you, under the provisions of FCRA §623(a)(8)(D), of the accuracy of information you have reported to my credit file.

In compliance with FCRA §623(a)(8)(D), and enacting regulations published at  16 CFR § 660.4, this Notice of Direct dispute includes:

Identification of the specific information being disputed:

(specify the account number, and the specific information that is disputed under

that identifying account)

Basis for the dispute:

(how the reporting was inaccurate;    was any reporting in violation of any statutory or

regulatory provisions?  account or express agreements?  CRA reporting gudelines? Account not

yours? etc.)

Supporting documentation:

(all documents that support your dispute; it is recommened to also include,

as part of your documentation, at least a copy of the portion only of your

recent credit report showing their reporting of the disputed information was

actually reported to your credit flle.  The implementing rule suggests a  showing

that it appeared in your credit report)

Message 7 of 10
themanwhosoldtheworld
Valued Member

Thank you I appreciate the help!

Message 8 of 10
DaBears
Senior Contributor

+1 Shogun, Major reaging happened. which is a violation of the stay. I would contact your BK attorney. Big no no on the CU part.

Message 9 of 10
themanwhosoldtheworld
Valued Member

Thanks again for all the help guys.

Just to clarify, the Credit Union has not sent me anything regarding me owing them money.  The only thing that I am worried about is that they have started reporting this to my credit report as I have outlined above.  My main objective is to obviously get that removed. 

I should be in the right requesting that they remove this correct?

I have all of my paperwork together that shows that this was discharged in 2003 so I think I have all my bases coverd.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.