Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge Off/Collection Question

tag
casmith1980
Established Contributor

Charge Off/Collection Question

So I have this one stubborn baddie left on my report (First premier)...and I noticed that they changed my payment history as follows (apparently I am copying/pasting incorrectly, but the status has changed to all "ok" payments until November 2011 at which point it lists as a "collection"):

Recent payment history [?]

12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 2009 2010 2011
OKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKCollection
Legend:Current paidCurrently paid as agreed
 CollectionCollection

I'm under the impression that this is hurting my score MORE because it's "recent" although this account has never been used since the date in which it was open (Oct 2006).  Also, the type of account lists as "collection"...when a company puts an account into collection - isn't the amount owed supposed to reflect $0 or is that only if they sold the account to an outside company?

Thank you for all your help!!!

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15
Anticipated discharge 3/10/15

Goal: 700 by 3/2017
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: Charge Off/Collection Question

Hi casmith1980,

I'm alittle confused. This account has never been used......So how can it be in collections?

Yes you are correct. When an OC sells a debt, the balance is changed to a $0 balance.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 2 of 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Charge Off/Collection Question

...and if they didn't sell it, they should report a balance and will usually update it with a new late each month.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.