Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge Off Not Updating

tag
800goal800
Frequent Contributor

Charge Off Not Updating

I have a credit card with a CU that was charged off a while back.   Date of First Deliquency is Jul '14.  Date of Last Activity is Sep '14.    Last date reported was Aug '15.    Nothing from any collection agencies ever.

I'd love to get it removed but I assume disputing could poke the bear.   Any options other than letting it sit ?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Charge Off Not Updating

If the creditor still owns the debt, you can send them a pay for deletion offer, making an offer to pay the debt in exchange for their deletion of whatever derogs have been reported.

If the debt is still within SOL, you always take the chance of causing any review to result in a decision by the creditor to bring civil action seeking a judgment.

Additionally, referring to a collection agency is also possible at any time, with resulting reporting of a collection.

Message 2 of 6
800goal800
Frequent Contributor

I have a credit repair company - havent signed with them - thinking disputinig is the right way.

Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

What is the reported inaccuracy that would be proper basis for a dispute?

Message 4 of 6
800goal800
Frequent Contributor

There is no reason to dispute per se.   I'm trying to get a mortgage...mortgage company referred me to them to get rid of some deragatories.

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Filing of a dispute requires identification of a specific inaccuracy in reported information.  Any dispute is then limited only to the verification, correction, or if neither of those can be done, deletion of the information.

If no inaccuracy is identified, any dispute can be dismissed as being "frivolous or irrelevant" with no requirment for any investigation.

If you find an inaccuracy in some aspect of their reporting that is not related to the accuracy of the debt per se, then the dispute would only apply to the identified information, and would not, if unverified, require any deletion of other accurate reporting or of the account itself.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.