Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge Off Question Arising out of phone call with OC

tag
almost_there
Regular Contributor

Charge Off Question Arising out of phone call with OC

Since I have the time given the long holiday, I'm trying to put as much of my credit rebuilding into process as possible this weekend, so that's why so much posting. Hope I'm not annoying, but I just talked to Target, which I've mentioned in previous threads I owe $196 and wanted to try for a PFD. I should have just asked for the address to send correspondence to, but the guy on the phone had all my information and I asked him about getting the charge off removed and he said in a very nasty way that they don't do it because they've already reported it to the IRS and that removing a Charge Off would get them in trouble. He said, I know it's a thing people see on the internet, but it's not true. Companies won't do this. I told him, I know it's true and has in fact been done for me in the past. i made sure to stay calm and not get outwardly upset by his condescending tone and just asked for their mailing address. But I am wondering about what he said about the IRS. The last time I had a PFD was some years ago. Have things changed with the credit rules? Also, he said they had just recalled my account (Nov. 20th) from a collections agency and I needed to make a payment now because the next time I call they may not have the account. He is right. A collections agency did have my account as I have a settlement offer from them from the summer that I never responded to, but what would make an OC recall an account from a collections agency? Any idea? Thanks.

11/2013 FICO: 517 (TU), 560 (EX), 539 (EQ)
11/2013 FAKO: 593 (TU), 591 (EX), 595 (EQ)
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Charge Off Question Arising out of phone call with OC

A charge off is reported to the IRS because they get whatever amount from them for writing off the account.

That will not keep them from doing a PFD if they want to.  They can't get in trouble for it.

They can pull an account back if they aren't seeing results and send it on to the next CA.  Happens frequently.

I would find the address of the CEO and send it to them.

Message 2 of 5
almost_there
Regular Contributor

Thanks, I knew he was lying to me. Ugh. I guess that's a sign that Target will be a hard road. Found the CEO's email address, but given the context that I found it online, I wonder if it hasn't been changed. Lots of angry people seemed to have been targeting him for his stance on Gay Rights. I'm also cc'ing his assistant. Maybe, she'll have a heart...Thanks again!

Message 3 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

CSRs will tell you whatever to get you to pay.  And the majority of them don't really know any thing about the FCRA.

Message 4 of 5
almost_there
Regular Contributor

But they will sure act like they know. You should have heard him on the phone. He was all about the intimidation. If we were in a room together, I would have been in the corner with him closing in on me. And for $196! I'd already admitted I owed the money and am willing to pay it. Why behave that way? Collections is a job I could never do. It's like you have to forget all civility and reason to be able to do it...Ugh. I just wrote to the CEO. Hopefully, something good will come from it.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.