Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge Off Question

tag
manwoot
Frequent Contributor

Charge Off Question

My wife and I (we've been married for a year) have been looking at cleaning up our credit reports because we plan on buying a new home in the next couple of years.  To my surprise, she had a charge off through Citi two years ago.  On her credit report, the debt is listed as "Status: Paid,Closed. $1,288 written off."  She says she doesn't remember if she paid it, but to me, it looks like she hasn't...

Is there anything we can do about this?  Is this worth a PFD letter or would you handle it somewhat differently?  She doesn't get letters asking her to pay and no collections calls, but it still worries me.  She has a thin credit file (no auto/student loans) and only has good standing on the 3 cards she's my AU on.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

Re: Charge Off Question

@manwoot wrote:

My wife and I (we've been married for a year) have been looking at cleaning up our credit reports because we plan on buying a new home in the next couple of years.  To my surprise, she had a charge off through Citi two years ago.  On her credit report, the debt is listed as "Status: Paid,Closed. $1,288 written off."  She says she doesn't remember if she paid it, but to me, it looks like she hasn't...

Is there anything we can do about this?  Is this worth a PFD letter or would you handle it somewhat differently?  She doesn't get letters asking her to pay and no collections calls, but it still worries me.  She has a thin credit file (no auto/student loans) and only has good standing on the 3 cards she's my AU on.

Thanks in advance.

The first thing would be to try and verify if this was ever actually paid.  It doesn't look like it was, but you want to be sure before you contact Citi.  Since it wasn't ever sent to collections, I'd recommend contacting Citi first.  Since it was already charged off, I'm not sure that a PFD would be an option.  You might not get anywhere but it's certainly worth a shot talking them.  Just be ready to explain anything and see if they're willing to help.

Message 2 of 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Charge Off Question

It says paid, closed.  So it looks like it was paid to me.  The amount written off is not the balance.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.