Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge Off Removal Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charge Off Removal Question

So I am looking at my credit report and although my score has come up a great deal since my BK7 discharge, I have 8 unpaid CC Charge off's, these all were included in my CH 7 Bankruptcy.  

My question is, is there any way to remove them or do I have to wait until they age off?  They are all scheduled to come off between 9/2017 and 4/2018 but I would really like to see if I can get them off sooner.  

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Charge Off Removal Question

The fact of the creditor took a CO is not changed based on the ultimate status of the debt, be it unpaid, paid, discharged, or cancelled.

The creditor must update the reported debt balance to $0 if the debt is discharged, but does not have to delete their reporting of the CO.

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I have to wait until they age off then?  

Message 3 of 15
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

So I have to wait until they age off then?  

Yes or begin a campaign of GW letters asking for their removal, since they took a loss they may not be very ameinable to it but there is no reason not to set up the campaign. Good luck Smiley Happy       http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Stories/td-p/1573680

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

The BK7 overshadows them. No point in even worying about them anymore. Concentrate on rebuilding your current credit accounts, and deal with any recent post-BK stuff.

What current accounts to you have? Credit lines, age, balances, etc....

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish that were the case, unfortunately I have heard that I have too many deliquent accounts/charge off's even though they were included in the BK.  

My current cards are as follows:

Capital One - $750, no balance

Capital One - $750, $202 balance

Navy Federal Cash Rewards - $500, no balance

Victorias Secret - $250, $80 balance

Express - $250, no balance

J Crew - $250, no balance

Dress Barn - $500, $75 balance

Eddie Bauer - $250, no balance

Game Stop - $250, no balance

I know this seems like an awful lot of store cards, but I actually shop at all these places, except for J Crew and I got that one for the fast growth rate on it, hopefully it will start to grow soon.  I have no desire to get any more store cards than these, but now i'd just like all my current cards to grow.  

My balances will all be paid off except for the 1 Capital One by the end of the month as well.  

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

From where have you 'heard' this?

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

When was the BK7 filed, and when did you actively start rebuilding?

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I filed in May of 2014 and discharged in September of 2014, I started rebuilding right after my discharge.  

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

So you are basically just 6 months out - you're doing fine with those scores, IMO. You have an appropriate amount of accounts for rebuilding, now is really the time to just sit back and garden. Let the accounts age, keep the balances low, and request CLI's periodically. There just simply isn't any real need to address derogs that are IIB. None.

Check and make sure everything that was discharged in the BK are all reporting correctly as such, and with $0 balances.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.