Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge Off Vs. Collection and AAoA

tag
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Charge Off Vs. Collection and AAoA

From what I understand Collections accounts do NOT count towards AAoA, but Charge Offs CAN.

Does a charge off only count towards AAoA if it was a revolving account that originally counted?  For instance, I have a charge off from Verizon Wireless from 2007.  This obviously never reported as an account until it charged off, so is this currently reporting towards my AAoA?

Thoughts?

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Charge Off Vs. Collection and AAoA

Yes, probably so because it was from the OC.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Collections are reporting "accounts" with a debt collctor and the CRA, directed at placing the fact of their collection activity in a consumer's file.  They are not accounts with a consumer, so no, they dont count in AAoA.

The issue of whether the OC account was charged off has no relevance to age of the account.  The charge-off is the reporting of a derog action they took on the account.

Any OC account, as long as it continues to appear in your CR, is included in your age of accounts, regardless of any derogs reported on the account.

Message 3 of 6
Jutz
Valued Contributor

So this is despite the fact that the account never would have existed if not for the Charge Off?

I think I understand:  "Charged Off" is more a status of an OC account, like Closed at Consumer Request, Grantors Request, etc.  So even though it ended up on my account because of the C/O, it is still an OC account that just happens to have a certain "Tag" to it.

Yes?

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 4 of 6
Jutz
Valued Contributor

What if an OC placed an account for collection themselves, but it was a utility company that normally would never report.  Because this is an OC account, will this calculate into AAoA, or because it's branded as a collection effort, is it not included?

Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Items that are posted and reported in your CR under the collections section are almost always those reported by third party debt collectors who have either been assigned collection authority by the OC or have purchased the debt from the OC. 

They are not parties with whom you have a original credit contract/agreement. You dont accrue any reportable delinquencies with them, only the posting of their collection to your credit file.   An OC who conducts their own, internal, in-house collection of their own debt is not, except under one rare circumstance, considered a debt collector under the FDCPA, and does not report to the collections segment of your credit file.

The exception, if you are interested, is when an OC uses a name other than their own, which implies to the consumer that they are another party.

I am not aware of any OCs who make that a practice, as doing so would subject them to all of the provisions of the FDCPA, such as the dunning notice and DV requirements.  They normally dont want to do that.

On the issue of charge-offs, they are not accounts.  In fact, they are not even an additional delinquency on the part of the consumer.  They are simply a permissible reporting by creditors of an internal accounting measure they have taken... shifting of your debt over from a taxable, receivalbe asset to an uncollectible bad debt in their ledger.  That reporting is permitted, and is totally unrelated to any other adverse items related to the account.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.